 Pirates / 1460 (-20)
  Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ... (...) I took pics while it was here too... the funniest one being when she was tied up to one of the gas barges in Vancouver Harbour, taking on fuel. Talk about an anachronism! (...) Sea scouts are in Canada (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation

Well, I missed the start of this thread, and this is mostly an echo of what other people are saying.... A few years back I and Jo got to spend the day in Mystic Seaport. very cool town and very nautical flavor. We also went to Groton but just drove (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation

(...) I didn't know the _Endeavour_ replica was Australian, but I do remember it being in England for a while--probably, like the _Half Moon_ and _Mayflower_, just visiting. (The neo-_Half Moon_ was built by the Dutch, and I'm pretty sure the new (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation

(...) I'll have to see it--real pity about the interior being altered, though I guess I can't blame them--the tea clippers weren't exactly passenger liners. (...) Heavens! I didn't realise *that* either. All i knew is that the ship and some remnant (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation

(...) The inside has been modified, I fear, to be a museum - there's no way it'll ever sail again, which is a pity. There's a nice display of figureheads from various ships, though. (...) It was quite impressive - and actually, they pulled up almost (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation

Mr L F Braun wrote in message ... (...) I don't know about London-area, but the Endeavour replica was here in Vancouver this spring and next stop was Australia (the ship is Australian). We went on the tour and she's a really beautiful job - they (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation

(...) It's a ship in fine shape--I only saw it at night, but it's a very pleasant sight in the moonlight. And it's mentioned at the DLR stop! Always a sure sign that you're important, methinks. (...) I didn't realise they'd dragged the whole carcass (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation

(...) The two books I'd most likely skip are the first two, but at the same time, these books set up characters that appear throughout the series, and both have their good points. I'd stick with chronological order. www.amazon.com has at least some (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation

(...) Hi Bruce, Can you tell me if a person who started reading the books by O'brian would be lost if they did not read them in chronilogical order. They sound really interesting. Any idea if there is an online bookstore I could purchase Hardbacks (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation

(...) This is probably the best series in this time frame and consists of a staggering 20 books (Patrick O'Brian, alas, passed away at the start of this year). The first book is on the overly fussy technical side and can be a bit of a chore to read. (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  (Non-LEGO) Recommendation

Anyone out there looking for some good, Age-of-Sail-era related reading material? While I was in the bookstore looking for reading material to take on the plane, I came across a series of novels by Patrick O'Brian. They deal with the life of a (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Mercenaries and minifig weapons...

(...) Check my webpage again...I hope this helps I tried to provide a few pics (in a whimsical way) illustrating the difference between the two heads in question = ) The head in 6706 is a couple shades darker than the head on my mercenary. The "Red" (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Mercenaries and minifig weapons...

(...) I would have to respectfully disagree = ) I exumed my Wild West figures from my storage closet and compared the 6706 soldier and my "Red" Fox mercenary. The soldier from 6706 has a brownish red print while my mercenary fig has a brighter (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Mercenaries and minifig weapons...

I have to second the motion that set 6706 is the set those particular heads come in. I purchased a slew of them at Kohls for $2@ awhile back. As a result I have many many of those style minifig heads. (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au)

Dave Low wrote in message ... (...) You might try 6706, hard to see on the picture but I'm pretty sure one of the soldiers has that head: (URL) Vic, I've seen stacks of these both in TW stores, and also at GB's. I guess that they could be absent (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Mercenaries and minifig weapons...

(...) I acquired that head in a small eBay lot a few months ago. I put it in a "special bag" for future reference. I thought that head was different... I had only seen a similar version with an eyepatch on Capt. Redbeard. The head I have came from a (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Mercenaries and minifig weapons...

(...) (URL) only fig I could find or think of was Pirate 9, as listed on brickset: (URL) know where else I might find him (or any other redbearded fellow who might realistically play Odysseus)? --DaveL (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Palm leaf holder

(...) Yes, but my database does... 2 in 6977 - Arachnoid Star Base See, they're in space sets too! Kim (24 years ago, 24-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Palm leaf holder

(...) ...and, as noted, several other Pirate (and a few Castle!) sets. These are extremely useful things. I love them, but can never get enough of them! My joyous discovery of the last week is that the 6543 Sail n' Fly Marina has them in *brown*... (...) (24 years ago, 24-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Palm leaf holder

(...) I'm getting the feeling I should add Dan and Jenn's site to my favorites. ;-) -Shiri (24 years ago, 24-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact