 Pirates / 1310 (-20)
  colored parrot

If any of you Pirates enthusiasts are also CAD-literate, you may be interested to now that one of the CAD people has just posted a data file for the colorized version of the parrot. (URL) created an image using this file to show several parrots, (...) (24 years ago, 15-Sep-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Islanders still wanted?

Hi Col, i do have a bunch of the battle droid minifigs from two 7184 sets. Are these where you are looking for? Maybe we can trade? Let me know what you think! Bye (...) (24 years ago, 15-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.pirates)

  Islanders still wanted?

Hiya I was on a work trip to Turin, Italy earlier this week and I went in a toyshop that had some Islanders sets from 1994-96 on the shelves. I bought three : a 6244, a 6246, and a 6256. What I would like to know is, are these sets still in demand? (...) (24 years ago, 14-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) Wise guy, hunh? I'll moitalize ya! (Point, click, thunk!) Bruce Hmmmm, what does this have to do with pirates? Ah, I know - I give my pirates the odd crossbow. Adds to that proper motley crew look. (24 years ago, 14-Sep-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) Fancier models have a scrollpoint. <GD&R> James (24 years ago, 14-Sep-00, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.off-topic.pun)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) [emphasis mine] I'd ben meaning to chime in on this, but you seem to have covered what I would have, so I'll just say this: Crossbow - The *original* point-and-click interface. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk. :-P Franklin (24 years ago, 14-Sep-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Pics of the Wraith

(...) I asked Capt R. about that. He said "With all that canvas she can outrun anything in the Imperial fleet, so the color doesn't matter a wit to me, boyo. Besides, if it strikes fear into the hearts of me foes I'm all for it." Then he cut me. (...) (24 years ago, 13-Sep-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) IIRC, there were still laws in place in England in Elizabethan times that all the peasants had to spend a certain number of hours a week at longbow practice, and there were practice grounds in the cities, but as you say people got lazy and the (...) (24 years ago, 13-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) Dare I say it - this isn't accurate. :-) Crossbows are extremely accurate and powerful weapons, but more importantly they are easier to be accurate with (point it at what you want to hit and shoot). Longbows are accurate, too, but a lot (...) (24 years ago, 13-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) Crossbows were easy to use - there was a lot less training required. Years less, to be specific. They were good in castle defense when rate of fire was less important and a pre-drawn bow was valuable - as little time exposed as possible. The (...) (24 years ago, 13-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Pics of the Wraith

(...) I'd say that I love her too, but that might precipitate a duel between Richard and myself. And while a duel over a lady (especially one with huuuuge...tracts of deck) is quite honorable, I'm afraid I inadvertantly left my good duelling pistol (...) (24 years ago, 13-Sep-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Pics of the Wraith

(...) Why thank you! (...) Be watchful of the stern chasers then laddie. (...) Some of the credit for those goes to you and HMS Sutherland. Were it not for the inspiration of that ship the back end of the Wraith would be one butt-ugly rear (so to (...) (24 years ago, 13-Sep-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

IIRC crossbows were used because they were A LOT more accurate than longbows. (24 years ago, 13-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Pics of the Wraith

(...) Like her? I love her. Don't get me wrong, the Brikish Navy's Port Block squadron will still chase her round perdition's flame etc, but she's still downright gorgeous, in a particularly sneak-up-on-you-and-kill-you kind of way :-) I rather (...) (24 years ago, 13-Sep-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) Cool. How come longbows fell into disuse? And and how come we bothered with crossbows at all? I love finding out about this stuff :-) Regards Richard Still baldly going... (24 years ago, 13-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Pics of the Wraith

(...) Bruce (24 years ago, 12-Sep-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Pics of the Wraith

Arrr (etc.) Well, I promised these a while back. She's not completely done yet (of course). I still have to rig her last couple of sails and raise the mizzen mast. Hope you like her: (URL) (24 years ago, 12-Sep-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) knife (...) Longbows were replaced by firearms, not crossbows, and that was primarily out of disuse more than effectiveness. Bruce (24 years ago, 11-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) Yup that would explain it. Doh! (...) I'll certainly bring along a squad. I haven't decided whether to field them. I think I'm still better off with long bows. I seem to recall that historically crossbows replaced longbows because while they (...) (24 years ago, 11-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Is this still out???

(...) first. (...) I'm watching! I'm watching! (...) Ack, I just looked again and saw that I allowed my German to pollute my Dutch yet again. Het spijt me! best Lindsay (24 years ago, 11-Sep-00, to lugnet.pirates)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact