 Pirates / 1275
1274  |  1276
Subject:
The Pirate Book Thread Lives!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:19:28 GMT

Ahoy,

Yes, I am 1) bored and 2) lonely while between segments of my
intensive Dutch course, thus I am in de bibliotheek op LUGnet.
However, I do actually have something to say which is not in
Dutch and does not concern the weather (which is lousy--heel
regening): namely, that the Netherlands is magnificent for the
casual boekzoek.  This is pertinent for .pirates because, well,
they may be piratically useful books.

Specifically, I picked up a copy of E H H Archibald's _The Wooden
Fighting Ship in the Royal Navy, c.800-1860_ (I think those are
the dates), in excellent shape save the tattered dust jacket,
for a mere NLG 40.- (about $17 for the Yanks).  It's an excellent
book, I recommend it heartily.  Arrr!  At the very least it's got
nice colour illustrations to help you fix up your rig and handle
the decor around the ol' stern gallery, but it's also got a nice
glossary, some cannon detail, the ship rating system, etc etc etc.
Now I can build that cog I've always dreamed of...;)

I also located a nice copy of the 1905-6 _Jane's_ catalogue (not
original but the 1985 reprint edition, better because then I don't
feel badly about consulting it) for NLG 65.- which was a real score
because it's about the only good clearinghouse of information about
my own personal love, the 1885-1905 capital ship.

There were a few others as well (I grabbed a copy of Paul Kennedy's
_Rise and Fall of British Naval Mastery_, which I've wanted for years)
and I'm sure that when I get out to 's Gravenhage (or The Hague) there
may be many more.  But in short, you might want to respond to this
with the following:

1) Recommendations of nautical reference books, etc., that you've
   found useful and that I might profitably add to my library while
   the US dollar is still hideously strong (or that others might
   wish to add to theirs!);

2) Alternately or in addition (you can email me) any books you're
   looking for, and that I might pop out a list including, so if I
   see one I can purchase it and send it off to you.  I'd ask the cost
   of purchase, the cost of shipping including materials, and a wee
   little finder's fee (say a rijksdaler, about US $1) for incidentals.
   I might have to restrict my proxy purchases to NLG 300.- though.
   Don't worry about it being a hassle, it's not like one really must
   force me against my will to enter bookstores.  Besides, my advisor
   is having me buy Dutch books for him, so it's something I'm already
   doing.

Anyways, that's the long and short of it.  Oh, and by the way, there are an
awful lot of pirate books in Dutch--they have a wee bit o' fascination over
here for them.  I don't have any titles handy, though.

groetjes,

Lindsay