 People / 4463
Re: I am not a nazi.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 23:56:21 GMT

Hey Richie,

I’m still a bit confused on one question: are you, or are you not, a Nazi? ;)

More seriously, I did think the reception you got was over-harsh. This area of humor is always a very tricky thing--Mel Brooks, Monty Python, Charlie Chaplin, Hogan’s Heroes and Donald Duck have all made fun of Nazis to greater or lesser effect, but Prince Harry of Britain sparked a huge controversy when he wore a Nazi uniform to a costume party, claiming that it was a joke. I think its a question of knowing your audience and being known by them. It’s the old thing of how my best friend could call me all kinds of nasty names and I’d laugh, but if someone else said the same things I’d be very angry. Timing is another thing. If someone had called someone else a “space Nazi” and you fired back with the MOC it probably would have been taken in that spirit, but, as you said, your bricks were packed away and so the creation came much later. In a vaccuum it had a much different effect than you had intended.

Anyway, I’d continue to build space, I’d just avoid “hot” topics until you’re more firmly entrenched into that segment of the community.

This gave me a chuckle:

   Was I saying that nazis should be locked into anti-grav swastikas with inadequate controls and shot off into deep space?

Bruce