 People / 4147
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 06:00:32 GMT

In lugnet.people, Kevin Wilson wrote:
My mind is boggling at the number of people who are posting what boils down
to:

"I don't understand why it should exist, so it shouldn't"

I didn't understand why it should exist either, but maybe that's exactly why it
should.  It's one thing to say that LGBT people want to be treated as equals
with heteros, but it's a totally different thing to say that they want to be
treated as heteros (well, those who have come out of the closet, at least).
Women continue to struggle for equal treatment with men, but I think it's safe
to say that they still want to be recognized as women.  Why should LGBTs feel
any different?  If giving them a single group where they can be the default
status for a change makes them feel more comfortable here, hey, those of you who
would feel morally assualted can always skip-filter it.