 People / 4135
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 06:55:52 GMT

In lugnet.people, Kevin Wilson wrote:
In lugnet.people, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I guess I personally am in the camp that doesn't see why people
would *want* this group. Personally, it seems marginalising.

But I do not think that my view *matters*.

Thank you Larry.

My mind is boggling at the number of people who are posting what boils down to:

"I don't understand why it should exist, so it shouldn't"

It is quite usual when there is a small group within a majority group, for
members of the larger group not to understand why the members of the small group
want or need their own space (in this case: newsgroup). That's why it's not a
good idea to allow the majority to decide whether the smaller group should be
allowed to have that space or not.>
Kevin

This last argument is always appealed to when a majority having a conservative
position is opposed to what a minority group with a more liberal viewpoint does
or doesn't want to do.  In this case the majority is cast as being ignorant,
hateful and unqualified to have their viewpoint prevail because they 'just don't
understand.'  (Sometimes this is qualified as not being their fault, because not
being in the minority group, they simply are not capable of understanding.)
However, when the majority approves of what the minority wants to do, then the
minority group is all for democracy and they're just 'doing what most people
want' and are 'enlightened' or 'progressive.'  Then democracy is just super.

It sure must be nice to be in a group that is 'right' all the time - well, maybe
if it's not right ALL the time, be able to point to any other group and point
out how they're wrong to be against your view.