 People / 4133
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 04:03:41 GMT

In lugnet.people, Kevin Wilson wrote:
It is quite usual when there is a small group within a majority group, for
members of the larger group not to understand why the members of the small group
want or need their own space (in this case: newsgroup). That's why it's not a
good idea to allow the majority to decide whether the smaller group should be
allowed to have that space or not.

Kevin

Amazing timing, my lugnet membership comes to my email just as I was itching to
post).  In any case, I think that having a lavendar group is going to be
something that really is only valuable to non-straight identified people or
other people who are somehow interested in being there.  People who aren't so
identified most likely won't understand the need and, quite frankly, don't need
to.
As a gay person myself I can testify that even though being gay is just a small
part of me, its something I'm always conscious of, ESPECIALLY when meeting new
people or going to a group.  When I went to my first (and only thus far but
thats just because I just recently came out of the "dark ages")SEALUG meeting,
one of my fears was if some or part of the group was rabidly anti-gay and would
make my experience uncomfortable enough that a) I wouldn't be able to talk about
my life in an equal manner (having just gotten married to my partner of 8 years
is something that would seemingly come up in conversation but in an environment
where one is not sure how others would react, I felt (initially) less able to
relax and share equally) and b) that I would be perhaps less willing to share
MOCS with same sex couples or what not (for instance, I am working on a section
of a city with a "gay ghetto" (basically brownstones and a gay club)).

All that said, SEALUG was fine (and I'm looking forward to going back) and me
being uncomfortable or not is my problem not other people's.  BUT I still think
that having an alternate group to discuss gay themed MOCs would be a great
addition (and not substitute).  It is all about the brick BUT more importantly,
its about the people who put these great creations together.  If there is a need
or desire for something like a lavendar group so more people feel comfortable
sharing their creations then I think its a fantastic idea.

Basically, more people happy in an environment that welcomes them = more people
willing to share their unique and cool creations.

And sorry for the long post....its my first so I can be excused, haha.