 People / 4103
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.org
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:39:11 GMT

In lugnet.people, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I guess I personally am in the camp that doesn't see why people would *want*
this group. Personally, it seems marginalising.

I think Kevin has a very good point in his post:
[quote]
A group like this is useful for the same reason that LGBT concert bands, choirs,
softball teams, gardening clubs, book clubs, square dancing groups, churches,
RV'er and camping groups, swim teams, hockey teams, motorcycle clubs, water
poloclubs, wrestling clubs, (and many other sports teams and clubs), AA groups,
pilots associations, parents groups, students groups, etc all exist: because we
like to enjoy our interests among people who understand us, *as well as* out in
the wider community. Just as a simple thing, it's relaxing not to have to wonder
"when I refer to my SO as "he", what will the reaction be?"
[/quote]

I don't know how to explain, but my feeling says it would be fun and useful.
Personally I think everyone would be welcome as long as people know by
participating in that group the starting point would be that people that are in
the group are gay (sounds stupid, but that is what gays have to deal with all
the time ;-))
The above is personal, I'm not the one that started this thread. Where's Teddy
anyway? :-)

I think you have some good points Lar, and I understand you have to look at it
from different sides.

3 - we've been using the "Aryan Nation LEGO Fans" (5) as a reducio ad >absurbium example in discussions
Ouch!

Saskia