 People / 3449
Re: 2002 Rocket list!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 18:24:37 GMT

In lugnet.people, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
David Eaton 693 368 -325

Huh-- Now, this is odd. Using the search tool, I went back and searched for
posts by me (Todd built in a little date checker-ish thing(1)) to see how
I've done over the years:

1999 - 332
2000 - 354
2001 - 593
2002 - 300

Now, the interesting part (I thought) was that my searches turned up *fewer*
posts than either of Dan's analyses. Why would by searches turn up *less*? I
would expect if anything that my searches would turn up *more*, since people
who used my name would come up (I factored those out in the stats above as
best I could).

For reference, I used search string like: (note for me personally, I also
searched for my old email address, wpieaton, as well)

+david +eaton +deaton <3/6/0 >0/6 (for 2002)
+david +eaton +deaton <3/6/1 >0/6 (for 2001)
+david +eaton +deaton <3/6/2 >0/6 (for 2000)
+david +eaton +deaton <3/6/3 >0/6 (for 1999)

Does this make sense? Are my ranges right?

DaveE

(1) For those that don't know about it; to use it, append the following
options (as needed) after your search string:

<days/months/years - this specifies about how far back to start searching
(note, this is NOT a fixed date). That way, if I knew a certain post about
candy was written about 1.5 years ago, I could enter:

candy <0/6/1

And although it would list *all* Lugnet posts, it would return the posts
closest to the date specified *first*.

days/months/years - this is a +/- range. So, give or take this many days, months, and years. So, if I know that candy post was written 1.5 years ago, within 2 months, I could enter:

candy <0/6/1 >0/2

This would ONLY return posts within a 4 month span, centered 1 year, 6
months ago. Note also, since the default 'start' date is the current day,
you can also use this by itself if you know a post was written within the
last X days/months/years.  IE if you know a post came up 2 weeks ago about
Fabuland, you can enter:

fabuland >14