 People / 3264
3263  |  3265
Subject:
Back in the States/LEGOWORLD Thanks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 04:09:12 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey everyone -
I arrived in Chicago this afternoon after some time in Denmark and Germany
after LEGOWORLD.  I'm exhausted!!  Right now I'm forcing myself to stay
awake until 10:30 or so (normal bedtime) so I can get back into the time
zone at home.  Right now it feels like it should be 5:00 AM *yawn*

I haven't had the time to write very much publicly about LEGOWORLD yet.
Hopefully I'll have the chance to say more and post some information to
LDraw.org over the next few days.  Jaco van der Molen sent me a writeup of
his, and I'll either post it in full or combine it with some of my writing
for a joint report.

There are a great many people I want to thank, and I apologize in advance
for I know I will inevitably miss somebody.

First off, a big thanks to Sybrand Bonsma, who helped me organize the trip
before it happened, was my ride from Schipol to Zwolle, transportation each
morning and evening from Summercamp Heino, and finally transportation to the
train station when I left for Denmark.

To Jaco van der Molen for a wonderful time at the LDraw booth, and for a
roof to stay under on Tuesday night.

Paul Wolters of De Bouwsteen - thanks for your tireless efforts in
organizing the event and the interaction between De Bouwsteen and LEGO.
Thanks also for your hospitality towards me as I tried to both work hard and
adjust to a new country at the same time.

Jan Albert van Ree, Jeroen de Haan, Eddie (never caught last name), Dan
Crichton, Maico Arts, Manfred Moolhyusen, and Sybrand for your valuable help
with the LDraw booth.  Jeroen and Jan for the use of your computers as well.

Paul Koelewijn and Taal & Computer (I think I got that right) for the use of
the laptops for the LDraw booth.

Jan Smit for the invaluable use of your tripod for most of the weekend - I
don't think I can thank you enough.

I enjoyed meeting and talking to everyone at LEGOWORLD, but quite a few
people stood out.  Either I knew you from LUGNET before I came, or I ended
up talking to you a lot through the weekend.  If your name is not on this
list, please don't take it personally. :-)  I've been awake about 23hrs and
its been a week and a half since the event ended.

Anton Raves - truly an honor.  I've been a HUGE fan of your work for as many
years as it has been online.  For those unfamiliar, check out
www.antonraves.com.

Erik Broc - Another long-time AFOL I've been familiar with for years.  An
honor finally meeting you - thanks also for your periodic help at the LDraw
booth.

Klaas Meijaard - thanks for the wonderful price on the Deutche Telekom sets,
and for your company throughout the event.

Mario & Guilio Ferrari, Gianluca Morelli (sp?), Carlo Ottolina (sp?), and
other ITLUG members - wonderful meeting you all!

Ben Beneke - An honor and a pleasure to meet you and get a chance to spend
some time chatting LEGO and Trains!

The LEGO Direct gang - Brad Justus, a pleasure seeing you again, and a
pleasure meeting (lets see if I can remember you all) Finley, Alex, Jorgen
Peter, Liz, Charlotte, and for some reason I fear I'm missing one or two
more ;-)

And a few others...Martijn Boogaarts, Johan Wind, Johan Smit, Stefan van
Zwam (sp), the three kids who on separate occasions wanted my autograph!
(quite flattering!!), Ricky, and well um, the rest of you guys!! :-)

LEGOWORLD WAS SUCH AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!  I've been invited again for next
year, and let me say that I will do everything within my abilities to come
again!  I wouldn't miss next year for the world.  I'm already starting to
make some big plans for the gathering next year, just have to piece them
together.  I'd also like to see more Americans there - it was myself and a
few of the LEGO Direct contingency - I thought I would see more!  Its well
worth the trip, guys!

Before I wrap up, I should also thank Lars Hassing for hosting me in
Denmark, it was great seeing you again and spending time with you and your
wonderful family.  Also, to Jacob Sparre Andersen - it was great to meet you
after so many years working together with LDraw!  Thanks for coming out to
Aarhus from Copenhagen.  And finally to my gracious hosts for my two days in
Billund; Flemming and Trine; and also to Tormod - I had a wonderful time
with you all, thanks for everything!!

Now its almost time for bed - finally!  I hope I can adjust quickly to the
time zone change.

-Tim