 People / 3143
Re: Kevin (was: Re: Hi, I'm a newbie, blah blah blah)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 06:32:26 GMT

In lugnet.people, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Incidentally, I've been meaning to ask you, Kevin...

  How are you doing?  Recovering well?  Will we see you at BrickFest?

  best
  LFB

CAUTION:  Long

Hey there Mr. LFB

Thanks for asking about me; it has been a while since I have reported here.  My
physical condition is quite good and I get around now like I have 2 good legs.
As a cost-saving measure, my employer's COMP insurance carrier cut me off from
structured physical and occupational therapy and purchased a year-long
membership at a local gym/health club with limited access to a personal
trainer.  I am very happy with this and I currently go to the gym to work out
at least 4 days a week for 90 minutes or so.  Just last week I increased my
time on the treadmill from 10 to 20 minutes and experienced no bad effects
other than my legs feeling extra-fatigued for the next few hours.  Stationary
bike still is difficult for my knees, though, so I limit my time to 10 minutes.

After having spent 14 months in a wheelchair and then progressing to limited
mobility I think I am doing very well.  In early March I surprised everyone at
a LUCNY meeting by walking, using stairs, and standing.  The last time most of
them had seen me I was using a wheelchair or special crutches.  It has only
been about 12 weeks that I have been walking totally unassisted by any devices.
My gait is not perfect yet, I cannot run or walk fast, and still take stairs
one at a time, but I am progressing day by day.

When I was finally permitted to bear weight on my left leg (after 12 months
with strict orders against this) I experienced what seemed like 500 pounds of
downward pressure on my ankle with each step and my foot was also unaccustomed
to doing any kind of weight bearing.  Simple tasks like walking from my car to
the Lego isle at Wal-Mart and back were very profoundly exhausting.
Fortunately, those days have passed.

I have an upcoming office visit with an Orthopedic Surgeon who specializes in
repair of knees and ankles.  There is something wrong with soft tissue in both
knees--my good knee bothers when I bend my knee, by bad knee bothers when I
extend it, hence the problems with using the stationary bike.  Hopefully we can
diagnose the problems and find a solution - surgical or otherwise.
As for bone healing, the latest x-ray shots make my left Tibia look normal but
I am no radiologist.  I started out with about 30 bone fractures and this one
has been the most difficult and longest to correct and then heal.  The original
compound fracture resulted in a gap about the size of a pencil eraser
(sideways).  Simply being able to keep the leg with a fracture like this is
nothing short of a miracle plus some excellent surgical skills.

As of yet, I have not found a way to adequately thank my orthopedic doctor and
his associates.  I also need to better thank all of the nursing staff and
therapists that cared for me for many months.  I have made a few visits to the
hospitals and therapy centers where I was treated so that the staff could see
my miraculous recovery.  For them, I expect that knowing their efforts were
appreciated and worthwhile means quite a lot--it certainly does to me.

My right hand and wrist that were so severely injured are at a level that
allows full use but with limited range of motion.  I still have limitations,
but dexterity and sensation are very near normal.  Ultimately this means that
my Lego building is not suffering but I still cannot separate click hinges by
myself and black technic friction pins give me a bit of trouble, too.  Again, I
cannot thank my orthopedic surgical team and therapists enough for restoring my
hand from the deformed mess it once was in.

Since I have surgical scars all over the place I am certainly not the most
attractive man around, but they were all worth it.  Being back in one piece and
being able to use my hand and walk again is definitely worth all of the scars
in the world.  You could even call me the half-million dollar man as that is
pretty near the amount of money spent to take care of me medically since this
all began back in December 2000.  Financially, I am doing okay but I have had
to seriously curtail my Lego spending down to about 200 dollars a month.  After
expenses and Lego I am financially broke but still happy.  As for re-entering
the working world I am in no hurry and still not physically ready.  Being
young,
I have a lot of options available to me and I have every intention of
supporting myself again someday.  If I do not end up going back to school this
fall then I will find work of some kind to do.  Until then, I have all the time
I need to build with my Lego collection and I am enjoying that very much.

Life dealt me a cruel blow, but I haven't felt sorry for myself for even a
minute.  I had a lot of obstacles in my way and I have beaten down most of them
with determination.  As long as I have my Lego, my friends and family, and the
countless people who have prayed for me, I will be a happy man.  The Lugnet
community is also part of my support network; mostly silent support but very
valuable to me.  Lugnet and the love for Lego has helped me psychologically
more than I will probably ever know.

Apologies for rambling for so long...

As for attenting BrickFest 2002 -- I haven't considered it yet.  Perhaps if
John Barnes twists my arm a bit and I can save enough money for airfare I will
make the trip.

__Kevin Salm__
....Over 20 years experience playing with Lego toys....