 People / 2354
2353  |  2355
Subject:
The Autograph
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 17:25:44 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I find it strange that I would actually be posting a
human interest story about myself but after some
consideration, I felt I needed to share this with a
community that has given a lot to me.

Last night the Greater Florida Lego Train Club (GFLTC)
was at the South Tampa Toys R' Us for a display simply
to advertise ourselves and find a new venue for
displaying our models and help spur sales in the
process.  A separate posting with pictures is found
in lugnet.trains
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=12028

In the late afternoon, a shy 10/11 year old boy named
Eric and his mom came up to the display and I launched
off into my demo of Mindstorms and followed up with my
MOCs of Asian themed creations.  It was at least the
dozenth time I did this so it was nothing special .  I
did notice that Eric hung around a lot more after
the explanations but thought nothing of it.  After a
few more demos, and I had some time, Eric came up to
me and asked for my autograph.

I was stunned !!!  This was a first in my life for me
and I was completely unprepared for this.  Of course,
I signed the Lego postcard that he brought along and
told him I appreciated him asking me.  Then when I
talked to his mom a moment later, she mentioned he
was a huge ninja Lego fan.  It was not clear but I
think he just truly liked my work or had been to my
website and recognized my name and just wanted my
autograph for that reason.

All I can say is that Eric just walked away with an
autograph but I walked away from that deal with a
hell of a lot more.  I have always enjoyed comments
about my work from various ninja fans but this was
at a whole new level.  I don't believe I will ever
forget this form of appreciation.

In a discussion with another GFLTC member, Scott Holcomb,
we both agreed that this kind of encounter may be
rare but adults should take it very seriously as we
have all kinds of impacts on kids that we never
quite really know or realize.

I finish with a heartfelt thanks to Eric, where ever
you are from a fellow ninja fan and hope to see you
again at GATS 2001 in Tampa Florida State Fairgrounds
in December.

KK

P.S.  I will be signing photos of myself in the booth
    next to the NY Yankees the next time they are in
    town for those interested ... just kidding ..lol !!