 People / 211
Re: LUGNET Memberships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 05:09:33 GMT

In lugnet.people, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.people, "Richard Franks" writes:
In lugnet.people, Alex Roode writes:
Ummm...
I don't really want to pay anything... do I have to?

Nope!

And if I don't, will I still be able to post messages on LUGNET?

Yep! AFAIK, everything you see here today is free, and will continue to be • so.
What memberships will give you is the ability to have an 'identity' on • Lugnet,
and participate in Auctions where Lugnet is an active hub. There are a lot • more
things to come in the future (see the long-term plan on the first web-page),
obviously including things we haven't even thought of yet! But for now,
membership for me means support for something that I think is worthwhile,
deserves to grow, and also a way to say thanks!

But as Todd wrote in the message that you responded to - membership isn't
something for everyone.

I'm sending out a follow-up message to clarify things...  I pasted a copy
below...

(Yuck, I hate sending out unsolicited e-mail in quantities like this -- it
feels like spamming.  :-(  Last time anything like this went out to everyone
who'd registered to post was about a year ago.

I love e-mail!  As long as it takes at least two minutes to read, I love it!
(except for those dumb webpage newsleter thingies, I HATE those!)

Once a year is more than
enough, if you ask me.  I wish I'd made a checkbox for "email me important
announcements about new LUGNET features" so that people who might not want
to see this wouldn't have to...)

--Todd

Okay, I'm sorry if I don't wanna pay anything, but I don't use money on the
internet.  I mean, all the stuff you've done for us.  I also have to thank
Kevin Loch for bringing the 2000 catalog! (I bought the 4940 today, and it
didn't have the new catalog! :'( dang...)

Besides, I don't like auctions (im a bad speller (unless of corse, i acctually
spelled that right) !)

<Gulp!>

Don't gulp in brackets!  You might choke! ( and ) are much better.

Sorry about the confusion, folks!

Several people wrote in and asked whether LUGNET memberships and/or the
fees were mandatory.

The answer is no -- definitely not.

Nothing about LUGNET is changing, except that something new (memberships)
are being added.  The memberships are 100% optional.  You don't have to,
and aren't expected to, become a member unless you yourself want to.

The word "membership" is somewhat confusing because LUGNET has only had
users up until now, and it's mostly only the old-timers who remember the
original LUGNET Plan documents which talked about memberships.  So...

- A "user" is someone who accesses data in the system and reads news
   and possibly also posts messages.  (This is about 3000 people over
   the past year.)  And this is all free.  Nothing is changing here.

- A "member" is someone who has all the capabilities of a "user" but
   also has a personal page on the website

page on the wbsite? Wha??!

   and an actual account with a
   password and a member ID number and lots of other neat things into the
   future (like holding auctions and participating in formal surveys and
   voting and things like that).

and

   - A "founder" is Todd.

So, just to reiterate -- if you don't want to pay anything, then you don't
have to -- and you can keep using LUGNET exactly as you have been.

No money is being charged for news or data or anything like that.
Memberships are just something extra -- something to form the backbone
of new infrastructures being built atop everything else.

Here are a couple relevant pages describing a bit about memberships,

  http://www.lugnet.com/admin/plan/4.html
  http://www.lugnet.com/admin/plan/8.html

from the LUGNET Plan document which was published in late 1997:

  http://www.lugnet.com/admin/plan/

Again, I apologize for any confusion...I should have made it more clear in
the first message.

If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask them on the lugnet.people
newsgroup:

  http://www.lugnet.com/people/

Over and out,

Roger.

--Todd

p.s.  About 90 people have filled out membership enrollment forms so far
in the past 36 hours.

I think it would TAKE 36 hours to fill out that form... =O

Alex Roode
USER of Lugnet, not a member. ???

P.S.  I like the Lugnet logo thingies on the minifig pic at the member place.