 People / 1146
1145  |  1147
Subject:
visit to Gary Istok's house
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 01:34:04 GMT

Last Thursday evening, my wife, Martha, and I ventured up I-75N and over
a bit and spent some time at Gary's house.  I wanted to post a note here
to say what a fun evening it was.  I won't bore you with the details but
here's a brief summary of the evening (in no particular order):
-the first LEGO we saw at Gary's was several 1x6x2 classic windows on
his kitchen table, showing the variation in design during their
production cycle.  Suprisingly, this was pretty much the only LEGO on
the first floor of his house.

-his LEGO room is amazing- a small city is set up along one end of the
room including the One Shell Plaza, his Neo-gothic fire station, the
Town hall, the museum(?), an office building, the train station, and
several others.   Gary's attention to architectural details is excellent
and inspiring.

-the Cathedral- quite simply one of the most impressive  models I have
every seen.  I could not believe how much clear brick is  contained
within this model.

-He also gave us a tour of the European and Samsonite era parts packs.
The Architectural series was interesting to see especially the scale
ruler.

Other highlights on the tour were the wooden box sets, and the Town
Plans sets, the Thatcher-Perkins locomotive, and of course his
collection of pieces (both sorted and unsorted :).

We also talked a lot about LEGO history, it's current direction, bulk
ordering, my experiences with WAMALUG, and several other topics which I
can't recall at this time.  Gary also gave me a part I needed to
complete a project.

If you are ever near metro Detroit, I would highly recommend visiting
Gary.  It was a real fun time and highly educational also.

Thanks Gary!

-chris