 People / 1119
Re: LUGNET Memberships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 04:17:11 GMT

In lugnet.people, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.people, Mike Faunce writes:
We'll see how many people find it funny nine months from now.
So ... are you going to tell us what is going to happen nine months from
now or just leave us hanging?

A combination of things...  first, by then there will be more things in
place that will matter more; second, the pw validator will very likely be
less stringent; third, I predict that within the next nine months, a major
online banking site such as PayPal will have a major fiasco in the news with
tens or hundreds of thousands of user accounts having been either cracked
via a distributed stealth parallel cracking system or DoS'd through a
distributed and carefully orchestrated DoS attack based on the principle that
they lock someone of their account out if a small number of multiple login
attempts fail rather than having more stringent pw requirements and allowing
a larger number of fails.

I was thinking more from the perspective of what you are going to create that
will have a span of 9 months and not what might happen on the internet outside
of LUGNET in 9 months.
This still doesn't explain why you have a sophisticated password system
(including a dictionary of 3 million words in 20 languages which I assume is
for the password check alone?) that doesn't really protect any vital
information while at the same time you have a security hole on the other end
where people can post under other's names.