 People / 1087
Re: Password checks (was: Re: LUGNET Memberships)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 00:59:39 GMT

In lugnet.people, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.people, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I know it is affecting me. Todd sent me a new password and I set two more
that hopefully I will have better luck remembering, but I still have 3 that
are cluttering up stuff. How do I remove those if I don't know what they
are?

I didn't plan for that.  In the beginning, I honestly didn't think that anyone
would ever forget their password (or at least not have it written down
somewhere that they could find it).  I'll have to come up with something.
Since the pw's are encrypted on the server and stored in an untagged list,
I can't tell which are the older ones and which are the newer ones.  For
now, if you really want the old ones cleared out, I can wipe the entire list,
but then you'd have to take a new one and change that again -- more hassle
than you probably want.

No that would work, I wrote down the password you sent me and the two new ones
I chose and they are pretty memorable, I hope. Implement something that
generates a new password AND wipes out ALL the old ones in one fell swoop.
Then send me the new password, I'll discard the old autogenerated (which would
now not be in there anyway), put in the two new ones I chose as easy to
remember (sorry Todd, one is a personal slur on you but it's easy to remember)
and I will be all set.

This "wipe out all passwords and send a new one" is mighty powerful stuff. Use
with extreme caution. (but you can trust ME of course... so go for it...)

++Lar

--Todd