 Parts / Modification / 282
281  |  283
Subject:
Part Mods - Baseplates and Technic parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.technic, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:01:20 GMT

A few part mods for the brave:

I decided that buying 32x32 baseplates and cutting them in two was cheaper than
buying twice as many 16x32 baseplates.  The question is how to make a reliable
straight cut.

I've used 4x8 plates for rigidity and slider parts to hold the knife.  The
result is a cut within 1mm of being straight, requiring minimal filing.

I used nail clippers to clip the corners of the baseplates to get a curve
similar to the factory-cut corners.

Some other modded parts are technic axles of lengths 1, 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 studs:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1830423 .  I cut these from
axles that were bent or twisted already, so it makes more use of something that
was essentially broken.

And a 1x3 thin liftarm, cut from a triangular bracket (which also provided two
1x2 thin liftarms with one round hole and one cross hole):

For the technic parts I wonder why TLG haven't made these properly yet.  OK, I
know the 1L axles would get stuck in various receptacles, but a skewer or other
sharp point would get them out!

I used the modded technic parts in steam engines but they are finding other uses
too.  I'll add more types to the folder as I take more pics.

Believe it or not, I do have limits on mods.  I don't modify anything I'd need
to complete a set unless it broke and I have a replacement.  I prefer to mod for
mechanisms and functions that are out of sight and I like to avoid wholesale
aesthetic mods - its difficult to get a smooth finish anyway.  So far I've
limited my surface part mods to tiles for which smaller sizes are required, like
1x2 grille tiles (into 1x1s) and 1x4 black and yellow striped tiles (into 1x1,
1x2 and 1x3).  The advent of PaB and LEGO Factory has enabled me to be much
freer about modding parts as I buy more PaB and spares packs.  I didn't start
modding till I was encouraged to do so by TLG!

Mark