 Parts / Modification / 258
257  |  259
Subject:
A double crossover
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:43:16 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hey all, About 2 months ago now I was challenged/ asked to make a double crossover. While I thought this project would be difficult I had no idea how long it would take me. In total I have between 20-40 hours of time invested in the double crossover. Anyway here’s a little rundown on how I made this one of a kind switch.

As you might have guessed I was a little worried about this modification since I had to use 4 switches for this project. Needless to say I spent about a week just planning where I was going to cut. When I finally did start cutting the track I did as I always do, I removed the rails. This is really the not so big secret to making strong glue joints.

As you can see there were quite a few parts that went into making this switch.

The underside—note the use of actual Lego for the reinforcement. I also used a CA+ glue called zap-a-gap for all glue joints. This glue is amazingly strong and I don’t have to wear a respirator to use it. You might have also noticed the colored telephone wire. The wire provides a power jumper from one side of the crossing to the other as well as power to the center sections. In this picture you can also see that I “flipped” 2 of the switch controls to the outside of the rails. They work identically as the unmodified ones do, they just don’t have the position locking mechanism.

The finished product: I got to test it the other day running both my 8-wide f-7 and a motor over the switch for about 20 minutes running back and forth in a x pattern. The only train car I found that didn’t like the switch was the red hopper from the 4512 Cargo Train set. This was due to the stretched wheelbase. No biggie I’ll make it an 8-wide =)

I would certainly like to hear your comments, suggestions and opinions on this so feel free to speak your peace.

Thanks,

ondrew

custom lego track products -> http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=142467