 Parts / Modification / 169
Re: A customized minifig and a question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 13:51:32 GMT

G'day Edward

Thanks for replying.

In lugnet.build.minifigs, Edward Southerland wrote:
Well, I prefer painting myself

So I was noticing in your recent posting of custom figures.  Thanks for sharing
those, by the way.  It's a bit more motivation for me to get going about
generating images of my own figures, since we have several characters in common.
Perhaps we can compare experiences before too long if I manage to get my own
figures captured and up on Brickshelf?

but several people I know swear by printable
decals.

That certainly does seem to be the most common way to attack the problem.  I
lack the software and printer to tackle things that way myself, so painting is
likely to stay my weapon of choice for the moment.  Honestly, for most projects,
I'm convinced that the amount of work involved is equivalent (at least for me),
and I quite enjoy working away with my brushes.

I beleive they use the same waterslide decals that modelers use for
cars and airplanes.  It can be bought in sheets and run through a printer.

Yep, that's the stuff.  One of my other hobbies is making models, and I've been
following the revolution in make your own decals/transfers for almost a decade
now.  The one thing I've noticed is that it's often possible to see the pixels
on these home-produced efforts, which is a bit disconcerting.  I suppose that's
all a matter of what quality of printer you use.  "Dots per inch," and so
forth...

All
you have to do is scan in the image and you can print as many copies as you
need.

One thing that is admirable about the computer-image-customizers is the way
they're willing to let others have access to their efforts.  That, of course, is
the up side of working on the computer - ability to duplicate at the press of a
button.  Ah well, what you gain on the swings, you lose on the roundabouts.  :)

All the best,

Norbert Black