 Parts / Modification / 164
Re: Gray paint mod
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:09:34 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Aaron Amatnieks wrote:
   Hey all

Has anyone found a paint that matches light gray? Brand / color?

It appears I need to paint some black 3x3x2 cones light grey to finish off a smooth steeple point, and as they were never done in light gray , it’s time to improve some bonus ones from that lovely bonus box.

has anyone successfully color matched with existing model paints? going to a paint store to professionally get it done is out of the question for only 2 pieces.

Thanks in advance

Aaron A

Do you have an airbrush? You may have to mix your own using model paints. In fact I’d recomend this for a better surface. Even hand painting may be preferable. I used to build alot of models. And with some practice I got quite good at giving parts a smooth glossy coat with hand painting, it requiers thinnning the paint a bit. Also be sure to test any paint you use on the color you use. Many enamal paints will pick up some color from plastics, the worst are spray paints. My best results are with a grey laquer primer, then the top color.

Let us know your results. I haven’t painted any parts, but I’ve thought about it. I’ve been using vinyl tape to change some train baseplate colors.

Mat