 Parts / Custom / 135
Re: what type of modeling clay do you use?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom
Date:
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:35:47 GMT

In lugnet.parts.custom, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
hey guys,
this question goes specificly to the guys modeling custom figs. i'm
looking for a modeling clay that doesn't shrink for a new track mod i'm
doing. if you know where i can get my hands on some please let me know.

You may find my essay on custom parts production of some use:

http://news.lugnet.com/build/minifigs/?n=1501

As for locating a supplier - I'd start with your local modelling and/or craft
supply shop for Milliput, or a plumbing supplies store for A+B putty (my own
preferred medium).  If you don't have any luck locally, remember that Google is
your friend...  :)

Good luck with the mod.  Don't forget, by the way, that you can change the
colours of most epoxy putties by mixing in a powdered colouring agent, such as
that used for colouring cement (try Lee Valley Tools) or (more easily available)
old-fashioned powder watercolour paint (the stuff we all used in kindergarten).
You'll likely have to experiment a good deal to get a match to dark grey (either
old or new style), but it would be worth doing for anything you want to stand up
to use without changing colour (which a painted surface would eventually do, no
matter what sort of paint you used).

I hope this helps.

Norbert Black

thanks,