 Parts / 173
Re: tobacconist's parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:23:33 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Øyvind Steinnes wrote:

"Gary Istok" <istokg@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:IIrpw0.1F3z@lugnet.com...
These tobacco signs were produced from 1955-65.  But only in continental Europe.
First of all the negative connotation to smoking did not exist in the 1950's and
1960's.  And in continental Europe there were a lot of small mom and pop tobacco
shops.  These only exist in USA/Canada at shopping malls or upscale stores.  In
Europe even today tobacco does not yet have the negative connotation that it
does in the USA.  Canada is even ahead of the US when it comes to warning people
of the dangers of smoking.  In Canada the cigarette boxes will show a cancerous
lung or mouth cancer in color right on the box!!
Country (Total # in #226)   Names on Beams (upper or upper/lower case)

Norway (7)     -  SLAKTER, POST, TOBAK, KIOSK, TAXA, GARAGE, HOTEL

And you are sure of those names? Looks a bit strange for me that are a
Norwegian...
I think the names are

Norway (7)     -  SLAKTER, POST, TOBAKK, KIOSK, TAXI, GARAGE, HOTELL

I have a KIOSK and a TAXI sign that came from a set bought in norway....

The TAXI sign I have in diffrent colors, but the KIOSK sign looks to be very
old, and I can remember to have had a HOTELL sign too in the past some time.
The KIOSK sign is a white 1x6 beam with black letters.

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
Norway

Thanks Oyvind (cannot find that "O" in my ASCII letters),

I purchased a set of 7 printed bricks from a Norse seller.  I knew something was
not right, because one brick was a "Slagter" (Danish) brick, not "Slakter".
So I did not know if these were originally from Norway, or that they were just a
set of Danish named beams.  Is "HOTEL" or "HOTELL" correct in Danish?

I also am not 100% sure about the Finnish bricks, although the Esso HIULTO,
TUPAKKAA, and HOTELLI are correct.

That is one reason I posted all these.

Thanks again!

Gary Istok