 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 432
431  |  433
Subject:
TexLUG Fall 2003 Meeting Contest Rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:30:28 GMT

We will hold a projectile-launching contest at our next meeting
(http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/texlug/?n=428). Contestants will bring machines
(built at home prior to the meeting) capable of launching a standard projectile.
Such machines, typically called "siege engines", are trebuchets, catapults,
arbalests, and the like.

To keep in the spirit of our chosen themes (castle and pirates), machines are
limited to mechanical parts only (no electrics or pneumatics). The machines must
be constructed only of non-modified LEGO parts. Only one exception is allowed:
String. You may use non-LEGO produced string if necessary.

There will be two categories of machines for the competition:
1) Small machines (15" x 15" or smaller)
2) Large machines (larger than 15" x 15")
*large machines limited to maximum of 30" x 30"

The dimensions given above are length by width. These are the non-functioning
dimensions, meaning your machine may swing outside these envelopes when in
operation (imagine a trebuchet during launch, and a giant arm swinging out and
around the machine). The height is not limited.

All machines will fire a "cube" of 6 2x4 bricks. These "cubes" will be
provided at the contest. You may not use your own! The bricks will be stacked in
a 4x4x3 arrangement (4 studs x 4 studs base, 3 bricks in height).

The contest will have three aspects to it:
1) Distance
2) Accuracy
3) Rate of Fire

Contestants will be awarded points in each category, and the highest score will
win.

THE RULES:

• Contestants may enter only one machine in each category.
• Only un-modified LEGO parts allowed with one exception: string
• Machines can be fixed to any base (wheeled or static), as long as it's
100% LEGO parts (i.e. no mounting to plywood)
• No electronic or pneumatic LEGO parts allowed (e.g. no motors, Mindstorms,
Spybotics, etc.) Keep it primative!
• Weighted elements must be genuine LEGO parts! No lead pellets, steel plates,
etc.
• All machines must fire the standard projectile (six 2x4 bricks in a cube:
4x4x3).
• Contestant is repsonsible for any damages they incur. You break it, you buy
it.
• Weight is unlimited, but each machine must conform to the size limits.
• No launching of minifigs allowed (except for Jar-Jar, Timmy, and Galidor figs)

* If it gets out of hand, we'll move outside to the parking lot.

If you have any questions, please email me.

-TJ
www.texlug.org