Subject:
BotBall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 17:45:03 GMT

Hello SMARTies,
Remember the BotBall video that I showed a few months ago at our meeting?
Well, BotBall is coming to town.  At the next SRS Robothon, May 2002, there
will be a regional BotBall event.  Currently there are no local teams but we
are trying to change that.

What is BotBall:
BotBall is a national robotics competition for middle and high school aged
teams.  They provide the LEGOs, sensors, one RCX, one handyboard, software,
and a teacher workshop.  There are regional and national competitions.

From everything I have seen and heard, this looks like a first class
organization. Checkout the website for more complete information.

www.botball.org

Are you middle or high school aged?
Do you think that you and your school might be interested in putting
together a BotBall team?  Perhaps your Mom or Dad might be interested in
helping out as well.  Talk to a teacher at your school that you think would
be most interested.  Tell them about the website.  If they have any
questions they can email me or Darcy Schein (see below).  If your school
needs a mentor, post something here or contact me and I'll see what I can do.

Are you an Adult Lego robot enthusiast?
Interested in being a BotBall team mentor?  You can contact Darcy Schein and
she can try to put you together with a school that is looking for a team.
 But given that most schools around here don't seem to know about BotBall,
this might be a long shot. I'm currently trying to get Issaquah School
District interested.  If I'm successful, there may be a demand here for
mentors.  You can also do the same that I'm trying in your school districts.

The contact person at KIPR is Darcy Schein:

  Darcy Hartz Schein
  Program Manager
  KISS Institute for Practical Robotics
  www.botball.org