Subject:
Line Maze Challenge!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 00:29:14 GMT

Excerpt from SRS October Meeting Minutes:
| We ran out of time to talk in detail about some of the Line Maze
| robots that showed up to the meeting.  Of the eight or nine robots
| at the meeting, four or five were running (depending on your
| definition of running) and three were able to complete the entire
| 12' x 12' maze.  Gus came in first place with his STOCK Mindstorms
| robot (31 seconds) while Larry's Dilbert came in second (41 seconds)
| and Jim's came in third (12 minutes).  Jim's robot was not at the
| point where it could learn the maze but he's getting close.  It
| looks like this will be a good competition at Robothon this year.
| Come on guys, we can't let a Mindstorms robot win again!

I think this is a challenge to us all!  They are planning to make the Line
Maze event even harder for the next RoboThon even though they can barely
make their current overly engineered robots solve the maze. :-)

The next Line Maze event is supposed to include loops, i.e., a robot that
just keeps left or just right may never find the path to the finish.  Robots
will need to keep track of the relative location of the intersections so
that it can tell if it has encountered the intersection from another path.
Currently, this will be very difficult with my robot since it cannot
accurately tell how far I has gone on a path.  All solutions I can think of
include a Rotation Sensor but I don't have any free inputs.  I might be able
to reduce the number of Light Sensors to two but it is already pretty hard
to track a .25" line with three.

Anyway, I want all of you to think about it and either enter a robot of your
own, or help me come up with a solution so that we can have another SMART
robot to show those guys that you can make real robots with LEGOs!

If you do plan to enter a robot, I will be happy to provide you with any
help that I can give based on my experience.

Gus