Subject:
July Meeting Photos and Notes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 07:20:22 GMT

Hello SMARTies,

Sorry it has taken so long to get this on the net but I have been rather
busy with trips and relatives and camps etc.  To top it off, my AT&T cable
modem has decided that it will only work when it feels like it, which is not
very often.

Here are some photos from the meeting:
  http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/GJansson/SMART/Meetings/Smart3/

There were only about a hand full of robots that came for the
mini-challenge.  All the robots used treads in some way or another.  One
robot used them almost like legs.  The others used treads for locomotion as
well as getting over the 2x4.

I realized when I came home that I took very few photos of my robot at the
meeting so I have included a few more shots that I took at home.  My robot
was the only robot that consistently managed to get over the 2x4 when they
were placed on end.  The key to my robot was size.  It was basically laid
out like the letter T with a motor, treads, and wheel assembly on each point
of the T.  The drive was with worm gears which made the robot very slow.
The body of the robot is high enough that it can straddle the wood.

One announcement made at the meeting was that Ray Freeman's Workshop3D will
sponsor another RCX challenge.  The date has been set for October 6 at the
Pacific Science Center.  The events will be similar to the previous RCX
challenges: line tracking, puck gathering, and sumo. Checkout:
  www.workshop3d.com/rcx
This will be a fun event and Ray will make sure that anyone who wants to
help will be given plenty of opportunity to do so.

Regarding the next meeting, I proposed that we have it in September in
conjunction with the SRS September meeting.  That would make it September
15.  The reason for this is that the Bellevue library location is not
available in September and we can have a meeting that is three weeks before
the RCX challenge.  There will be no mini challenge for this meeting but
rather people can use it to prepare for the RCX challenge.  I still need to
verify with SRS that this will not be a problem so this meeting is not
guaranteed yet.

We also watched a video from prior years BotBall tournaments.  If anyone did
not see it but wants to, let me know.

Gus