Re: Build session on August 28th for BrickCon 2010
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:09:48 GMT

Here's a quick reminder about the build session this Saturday at the Bellevue
Library in room 3 starting at 2pm. Besides just a time to work on your robots,
ask questions, etc, I will be presenting an idea for a racing robot competition
at BrickCon. Anyone interested not just in getting the details a day or two
early, but perhaps influencing the rules is welcome to share at the meeting.

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you there! For those who can't make it, I
hope you have a great last couple of weeks of summer!

--
  David Schilling

In lugnet.org.us.smart, David Schilling wrote:
As many of you know, I'm the Mindstorms coordinator at BrickCon. As such, I need
to make sure that anyone bringing robots will have room to display them. So if
you are thinking of displaying a robot, please let me know by email (remove the
spambot), or better yet, bring it for a build session I've scheduled for the end
of the month.

The summer always goes by so fast, and now there's only two months until
BrickCon! SMART has a really nice location this year for displaying our robots.
At the last couple of meetings we talked about various types of robotics display
we can create for the con. Since there's only such a short time left, I thought
I'd remind everyone that we really can use your robots at the event!

To both encourage everyone to build, and have a fun time to get together, I've
reserved a library room at the Bellevue Library from 2 to 6 on Saturday August
28th in room 3.

Bring any robot you're working on, in whatever state it happens to be in. This
is a time to chat, ask questions, solve problems, or just show off what you've
done! Much less formal than a regular SMART meeting (if that's even possible!)

If you weren't at the last couple of meetings, below is a short list of ideas we
had for robots. You can build something from this list, or you can come up with
your own ideas! If you DO come up with your own idea and are NOT going to show
up at the meeting, please let me know what your space requirements are for
display at BrickCon.

Robot Ideas
===============

Build an instantly recognizable, or famous robot. It needs to move, and
preferably be able to line-track. R2-D2, Wall.e, Number 5, Robby the Robot, or
any one of the probably thousands of other robots that people will recognize.
We'll put them either on lines to track, or on the gradient race-track from two
BrickCon's ago.

Build a "hands-on" toy that uses the NXT. People love Gus' ball-shooting robot,
Nick's white-board drawing robot, and other arcade-style robots. Build something
that will draw a crowd of people wanting to try it out!

Build a robot that will empty the balls from a crate and dump them 20" above the
ground. These can then be used with Mark's colour-sorting ball contraption.

I look forward to seeing as many of you as can make it at the end of the month.
If you can't make it, but are planning on bringing a robot, please email me so I
know how much room we'll need to display it!

Remember:

Build session in room 3 at the Bellevue Library.
2 to 6pm on Saturday August 28th.

--
  David Schilling