Re: March 27th, 2010 SMART meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 01:44:12 GMT

We had a small, but wonderful SMART meeting last Saturday. While the turnout was
smaller than usual, nearly everyone brought a robot, and four people brought
stair climbing robots! Not one was anything like any other! As previously
mentioned, we'll continue with this as our mini-challenge for next month's
meeting (April 24th).

Besides having month two of our stair climbing challenge, the following were
some of the possibilities that were suggested for building robots:

Build a famous robot. It needs to move, and preferably be able to line-track.
R2-D2? Wall.e? Number 5? Or any other robot that people will instantly
recognize.

Build a robot that will empty the balls from a crate and dump them 20" above the
ground. These can then be used with Mark's colour-sorting ball contraption.

Build "hands-on" toys that use the NXT. People love Gus' ball-shooting robot,
Nick's white-board drawing robot, and other arcade-style robots. Build something
that would draw a crowd of people wanting to try it out!

Why these particular ideas? Because BrickCon is coming soon! We've only got
three meetings before BrickCon: April's, May's, and September's. And September's
meeting is the weekend before BrickCon, so it'll be too late to start building
robots then for the con. Let's start now!

--
  David Schilling