Subject:
November 17th, 2007 SMART meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 11:22:43 GMT

The next SMART meeting is only a bit over a week away, on November 17th. We'll
meet at DigiPen, in our regular room, from 2 to approximately 5pm.

We have a mini-challenge as well as the start of this year's Grand Challenge at
this meeting. Build a robot for both, either one, or bring some other robot that
you've been working on.

The mini-challenge: build a robot that can cross between two tables with a taunt
rope between them. The length of the rope is unknown ahead of time. But you
should count on it being a couple of feet at least. You should start your robot
completely on one table, and end up completely on the second table. If you want
an extra challenge, have your robot find the rope first. (It will be pulled over
top of both tables.) There will be a rope provided, but feel free to bring your
own rope if you prefer.

The Grand Challenge: build a robot that can race around a gradient track. The
track is approximately 2 feet wide, and goes from completely black on the left
side to completely white on the right side. Have your robot try to stay at the
same level of gray-scale the entire time. We'll start with a simple oval track,
but perhaps we'll add a "T" later on. Since this will be hard to test without
access to a track, you can try printing a couple of pages of a gradient on an
8.5x11 sheet of paper, and tape them together. But also, try to write your
program in such a way that you can control the various aspects of how your robot
drives. Perhaps have parameters that you can set which specify the maximum speed
of your robot, how sensitive it should be, how much it should slow down in
corners, and so on. There's a sample of what the track might look like at
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/David/SMART/Samples/Arenas/indy500.gif>

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the meeting!

--
  David Schilling