Subject:
Brickfest2007 Crate/GB Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:25:46 GMT

We had quite the Mindstorms/Technic display at BrickFest2007 in Portland last weekend! Now that I have been home for a week, I’m starting to recover enough to actually write something about the event. David Schilling was in charge of our display/events which included:
  • Easter Egg Hunt robot competition
  • NXT sumo competition
  • Intro to NXT talk
  • Grabbing mechanisms for robots talk
  • Mindstorms roundtable discussion
  • Technic MOC exhibits
  • Mindstorms MOC exhibits
  • Crate/Great Ball Contraption
  • FLL exhibit by the Washington State champion First LEGO League team
I will let David talk about the actual results for the competitions but I will say that both were very successful and well run events. The Easter Egg hunting was pretty difficult and there were some pretty impressive robots in the event.

Here are a few good photos of the Easter Egg hunt:

Many more can be found here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/AEGLI/BrickFest-PDX

My Easter Egg robot is the blue NXT front loader. It was really just a quick conversion from being a crate contraption robot but it worked anyway; it ended up officially in second place! More on the Front Loader later in the Crate Contraption write-up.

(BTW, these are not my pictures. I brought a camera but I was so busy that I hardly ever took it out. Thank you AEGLI, you took a lot of great pictures!)

The Sumo event on Saturday also went really well. I know David was worried that there weren’t going to be enough robots but eight robots turned up for an exciting round-robin tournament with plenty of crowd pleasing action.

AEGLI has lots of great sumo photos here a few good ones:

My rather vicious looking sumo robot turned out to be more lamb than wolf in the one-on-one competition; but completely dominant in the take-them-all-on-at-once round that was held just for fun at the end:

Thanks, David, for putting on a great event!

Crate/Great Ball Contraption

At this event the traditional SMART collaborative crate contraption turnout to be pretty much a solo display. David and a couple of others did provide GBC modules that were included but all the robots were my own.

Here is a good overview photo of the whole display:

I have put a more complete write-up of the display into a separate page.

http://www.lugnet.com/~726/BrickFest2007

Enjoy.

Gus