Re: November 18th, 2006 SMART meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2006 06:05:40 GMT

Here's the standard two-week reminder for our next meeting. If you haven't
started a robot yet for the minichallenge, I recommend starting this weekend!
It's not a trivial challenge.

--
  David Schilling

In lugnet.org.us.smart, David Schilling wrote:
Our next meeting will be on November 18th, at DigiPen. The mini-challenge is to
build a swinging robot. We'll provide a thin rope that your robot needs to hook
onto. It will be attached at the top at two locations, 18" apart, to form a 'U'
shape. Several different lengths of rope will be used for the swings, so your
robot will need to figure out what the proper period of oscillation is each time
you want to demonstrate it. *Don't* hard code the times for swinging -- that's
one thing that definitely won't work! While the robots can be very simple
mechanically, this can be a very difficult challenge, so I recommend starting
earlier on it. Don't leave it for the last week. If anyone has questions, post
here, or email me. Here's a picture of what the string setup is:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/David/SMART/Samples/Arenas/swingingrobots.gif

Note: The specific rope we'll use is 130 test braided Dacron fishing line, which
is thin enough to fit into the slot of any of the LEGO pulleys. For your own
testing, I recommend using any string that doesn't have too much stretch.

--
  David Schilling