Subject:
Video Clips from Robothon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 04:11:19 GMT

Hi Folks,

Today I noticed that Shane put some BrickHeap clips up on YouTube.  Thank you
Shane!  These are excellent.

<http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=shanebdavis>

BTW, in case you were not there.  I was on the dark gray team that made the
robot using the NXT.  Our robot was not the winning robot but I would still say
that using the NXT for this type of event was the right decision.  The NXT with
the new motors made putting together a compact reliable driving base almost
trivial.  This left more time for us to come up with the mechanics for the crate
gripper.  After some team brainstorming we came up with a design that secured
the crates by their feet from the inside.  It actually worked pretty well!

Here are some clips from the Line Maze event on Sunday:

<http://www.davehylands.com/Robotics/Line-Maze-2006/>

This was my fourth attempt to compete in SRS Line Maze event and the third time
I won.  My robot last year, Alegomazer 3, was pretty much a disaster except that
I learned a lot which I was able to apply to Alegomazer 4.

One of these days I plan to make a complete write-up on this robot but until
then, here are some highlights:

RCX based running BrickOS.

Programmed in C, almost 2000 lines of code counting all the comments, split into
three files for the three main program functions, ui, driver, and navigator.

Two light sensors which not only have to track the 1/4 inch wide black line but
also had to detect side paths and dead-ends (the line just ends).

One rotation sensor that is driven by a differential located between the drive
wheels.  Rotation sensor used to measure distance of line segments as well as to
make sure that all turns are in place, i.e. while turning the rotation sensor is
monitored and program tries to keep it fixed in place.

The route analysis code finds the fastest path, as compared to just the shortest
path, to a destination.  While exploring, the destination will be known
unexplored paths, otherwise the destination will be the finish circle.

Enjoy!
Gus