Re: September 24th 2005 SMART Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 02:57:13 GMT

Last reminder of our meeting this Saturday. Looking forward to seeing everyone
there. I hope everyone's had a chance to work on a robot for Robothon, and that
many of you will have a chance to attend Robothon in two weeks.

--
  David Schilling

In lugnet.org.us.smart, David Schilling wrote:
The next SMART meeting is only a bit over two weeks away. Back to our normal
location, we'll meet at Digipen on Saturday, September 24th, at 2pm.

Two weeks after the meeting, on October 8-9, is Robothon (in the Centerhouse).
Therefore the mini-challenge for the meeting is to build a robot to display or
compete at Robothon. Here's your chance to build a demonstration robot (or more)
that you've been wanting to do for a while, or to enter a robot competition and
show those metal-head robot guys just how powerful LEGO can be :-) Two of the
competition events that are particularly suited to LEGO Mindstorms robots are
the Line Following and Walker Races. See the rules at http://www.robothon.org -
links to the rules for these (and other) events are on the left edge of the
screen. Note, that unlike other LEGO robot competitions, you are welcome to
modify your LEGO, build or buy custom sensors, etc. for this event. (Only if you
want to, of course! Don't tell anyone else on Lugnet, most of them would shudder
at the thought of taking a drill bit or dremel tool to their precious plastic!
Of course your modified pieces would be unusable for "unmodified LEGO"
competitons in the future...)

We encourage everyone to pick one of these ideas and build a robot for it, even
if you're not going to attend Robothon. At the meeting, besides our usual
show-and-tell, we'll spend a few minutes discussing how each robot could be
improved in the remaining two weeks to give it either a better chance to win, or
to be more interesting or more robust for display robots. I hope that a lot of
you *will* be able to attend Robothon. It's free, and a great chance to see what
the rest of the robotic community is up to. Also, the same weekend, very nearby,
in the North-West rooms, (also at the Seattle Center -- specifically in the
Olympic and Rainier rooms) will be NWBrickCon.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at our meeting, and especially looking
forward to a large number of interesting robots!

--
  David Schilling