Subject:
July 23rd 2005 Meeting Notes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:28:41 GMT

On Saturday's SMART meeting we had a robot building competition. The object of
the game was to push LEGO cylinders to the opponent's field.

Two teams competed. I'm sorry I don't remember everyone's names on the teams,
but the robot named "Lawn Mower" had Shane as the team leader and the robot
named "BumperBot" had Doug as the team leader.

The full rules are included below, for anyone interested. The first time we ran
the competition Lawn Mower and BumperBot tied the first round, and BumperBot won
the next two rounds. So officially BumperBot was the champion. But we still had
some time left over (this is the first time that's ever happened!) and so we had
half-an-hour to make changes, rebuild or reprogram the robots. With their 'new
and improved' software, Lawn Mower very convincingly won each of the next six
rounds. So congradulations to both teams!

Pictures can be found at:

Unfortunately(?) I didn't get pictures of early Lawn Mower versions driving off
the table ... on three different occasions! At least the team learned the
meaning of "Catch it if it drives off the table" by that point :-)

The next meeting is September 24th. Two weekends later, October 8-9, is
Robothon. There's an open call for papers for anyone interested in doing some
research and presentations. See http://www.robothon.org/robothon/papers.php.
Papers are due August 15 or so, and should be between 8 to 20 pages.

--
  David Schilling

SMART “Clear the Field” Robot Competition

Object:
Build a robot that clears your field of the LEGO cylinders. Just push the
cylinders off your field, or try to get them onto your opponent’s field to get a
better score.

You have until 4:00 to build and program your robots. Then we’ll run the robots
against each other.

Robots:
You may only use the pieces provided. No modifying parts. Any programming
language is allowed. No messages may be sent by your RCX. All non-competition
LEGO must be put away for the duration of the competition.

Robots must have a footprint of 8”x8” or smaller at all times.
Besides the wheels, no part of your robot may touch the mat.

Robots must remain on their field at all times.

Play:
There will be a minimum of three rounds. Each round will be either 1-minute
long, or will stop if both robots have completely cleared their respective
fields. Scores will be added up and a winner declared for the round.

At least part of your robot must be on the field at all times. If your robot
ever leaves the field completely, it will be stopped where it is, the round
completed by the opponent, and scores calculated.

Scoring:
If at the end of a round at least one robot still has a cylinder on its field,
each team’s score will be the number of cylinders of the team’s starting colour
plus twice the number of cylinders of the other team’s starting colour on its
field.

If the round ends because both robots have completely cleared their field, the
time will be used to compute each team’s score, in five-second increments. (That
is, a number from 1 to 12.)

A final stopping condition is if both robots wander off their field, in which
case they will both be stopped. A few seconds may be given to let any remaining
cylinders roll to a stop, and then scores are calculated as if the time expired.

The team with the lowest score wins the round.

Best out of three rounds will win, but since ties are possible, one or more
extra rounds may be played, until a winner is determined.