Re: July 23rd 2005 Smart Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:37:22 GMT

I have been unable to confirm our being able to meet at Digipen next Saturday,
but fortunately I've been able to reserve a room at the Redmond Regional Library
for Saturday July 23rd, so we'll meet there instead. The address is 15990 NE
85th St., Redmond, WA 98052.

This time we'll be doing a game instead of our normal mini-challenge. Robots
will be built AT the meeting. So to give everyone a bit more time, the meeting
will start at 1:30, half an hour earlier than normal.

The game will be to build a robot to clear your 'field' of LEGO cylinders. The
field will be a solid black rectangle on a white background. The size has yet to
be determined, but probably it will be something on the order of 2-feet by
2-feet. At least part of your robot must be on the field at all times. The two
teams will be running their robots at the same time. There will be a space
between the two team's fields.

Arena: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1305800
Cylinders: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1305799

I will need two people to volunteer to bring laptops, IR towers and their
favourite programming environment to the meeting. Please email me if you are
able to do so. People may bring programs they've already written to the meeting.
One thing that might be useful to figure out ahead of time is a routine that
keeps your robot on the field.

Besides the programming equipment, I'll be providing all the LEGO parts,
including the RCX, motors, sensors, and a collection of Technic pieces to build
your robots. So while you're welcome to try building robots at home to practice,
please don't bring your robots to the meeting. (By the way, the pieces I'm
bringing aren't what I've normally brought for BrickHeap Wars.)

Once the meeting starts, we'll split into two teams, so try to show up on time.

Remember, we're meeting at the **Redmond library** on July 23rd! Hope to see
everyone there!

--
  David Schilling