Subject:
Crate Contraption scripting system?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:27:36 GMT

   How exactly does the scripting system you use work? I'm trying my hand at
this, and did not think of using the remote to "program", so you've got my
curiosity arroused (I'm using NQC, but that still gives me program access to
three buttons (messages 1, 2, & 3)). I see small bits of tape (I assume
reflective) to signal the forklift or dumptruck - how great a contrast signal is
this on the whiteboard?
   I was looking at a completely different signaling system (barcode reading,
using reflective tape to signal the beginning/end of the barcode). This has some
advantages (well, maybe...), but making all these codes and keeping them in
place (I was planning on removable ones, using 1x2 tiles along 2xn plates) might
be a pain.
   As to the Crate Contraption at Robothon, again, Wow! Fantastic job folks, I
wish I could see it in person. I did get a module built (currently, its output
feeds its input), and as per Dave's warning, hopper feeding is a bear. At least
it doesn't jam the lift mechanism, but currently it only feeds reliably for
about 5-10 minutes at a time (that's about 300-600 balls) before a jam in the
hopper starves the lift mechanism of balls. I've also used the bulk of my 1x16
beams :-( But it's cool, it makes a lot of noise, and most importantly my kids
LOVE it!

--
Brian Davis