Re: May 22nd 2004 SMART Meeting Notes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 06:11:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, David Schilling wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.smart, Mike Griffin wrote:
Hi David

I have a question about the "Milk Man" challenge for the July 31 S.M.A.R.T.
meeting.
What is the minimum radius of the line's turns?

Thanks
Mike

Like all mini-challenges, this is pretty much up to you. I'll bring a surface
with a line on it, but you may also bring your own. The point of the challenge
is to see if you can get a robot to do it, to find what interesting solutions
people come up with, and to learn things about building robots yourself as well
as from others that bring robots. We try hard to avoid over-specifying a problem
in mini-challenges.

That being said, the line I'll bring will be gentle. I haven't made it yet!
It probably will have around a 4" to 6" radius if it uses curved lines, or 3" to
6" segments with around 30-degree turns (150-degree angles) if it uses straight
lines.

Does that help?

--
  David Schilling

Thanks David
We thought we would put some black tape down and test our robots. Thanks for
decribing the kinds of turns to negotiate.
My son has already built a line tracker that "picks up the empty milk bottles",
I'm trying to get him to build a "milk bottle drop off" feature,
since that is what the mini challenge is about.
Now I'm getting excited about building a "Milk Man" too.
Your NQC tutorial has inspired me program this robot in NQC.

Thanks,
Mike