Re: SMART - Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:29:10 GMT

Hi!
In the SMART Meeting somebody had a really cool linetracker which
steers. Does anyone know if there is a building plan or software for
that linetracker?

http://www.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/~48/meetings/2001/01

Thanx!

Sebastian
Hi Sebastian,

That's my edge tracker.  Currently there are no building plans or code
available on the net.  I have meant to write something about it but have not
gotten around to it.  I will.  Once I get something written along with some
photos then I will post a link and send you some mail.

Meanwhile, let me give you some basic information about the robot.  The
robot uses two motors, one drive motor that is geared-up to the standard
lego differential to drive the rear wheels.  The other motor drives a
standard lego rack and pinion steering.  I think the steering pieces came
from something like a Turbo Command kit.  The robot uses a single light
sensor that is mounted well forward on a structure that extends the parallel
steering geometry.  Even the rack is extended a bit to effectively gear down
the steering motor without adding the slop associated with extra gears.

The edge tracking program is relatively simple.  The program tries to always
keep the light sensor positioned on a value that is in between the black
light reading and the white reading, thus on the edge.  The trick here is to
get it to lock in on the edge without overshooting and bouncing back and
forth.  I will write more about this when I set up a web page about the robot.

Gus