 Organizations / United States / NELUG / 614 (-20)
  Re: Age limitations

(...) And I'm relatively sure it was Shiri. The 18 limit was arbitrarily drawn up at one of the first meetings, as a way of keeping the organisation as one for adults. When it actually excluded someone, we had a long debate over whether or not to (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Fine. Change the policy such that you don't have to do all that extra work that seems to be so loathed by your group, and still let excellent builders into the group who just happen to be younger than 18. As it stands, it is pointless, stupid, (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I wasn't in on the window display, but I beleive that the reasoning behind it was pretty simple: It was an official NELUG "event", complete with signage at TCS saying that the display was by NELUG; therefore, a non-NELUG member shouldn't be (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Frankly, I would find the presence of bored parents disruptive. I have before. eric (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) And I assure you he is not the only NELUG or Lugnet member who feels the way he does. He is just the one who is getting to respond to these posts first- and he's doing it well enough that I, for one, don't see the need to parrot him. (...) (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) As I said in another post, I am in complete agreement with everything Matt has said. I do not like "me too" posting, though, and if I see Matt eloquently defending the decision NELUG has made, I don't see the point in posting. (...) I have to (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I loathe "me too" posting, and therefore don't do it. I am, however, in complete agreement with Matt in every post he's made. eric (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) No. As soon as we make a personal exception for you, then we have to judge each person under whatever age limit we set personally, and as others have said time and time again, that is *not* something we want to get into. (...) Obviously, by (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Formal Request

As everybody knows, we have had an application for NELUG membership from an individual who does not currently meet the guidelines for said membership. There has been a lot of discussion over these guidelines on LUGNET, much of it impassioned, (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us.nelug) !

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Thank you, Jude. This is *exactly* what this discussion needs: people willing to look at the opposing side's viewpoint, willing to try to understand it, and willing to work *with* that viewpoint to get things done. Fact: People in NELUG have (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  (canceled)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) For what its worth Shiri asked me if she could put something in the window at TCS. I told Shiri in person prior to the TCS display going up that if she came to TCS when we were setting up with her Inn we would include it. If someone countered (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

After reading Shiri's eloquent posts, I figured out a possible solution to the age problem. Not really anybody can be unsympathetic to Shiri's cause, but there is the other side of the coin. The concerns about the maturity of members is legitimate. (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

Shiri & all, First I am responding to the initial message because this thread is new from the last time I was on and now there are 100+ messages in the tread and I am on vacation and am not about to take more time from it than I am writing this (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I would. But I wasn't really getting at a technical definition issue. From the perspective of posting to a newsgroup they're all functionally the same. They're just various opinions and regardless of how they're phrased, the NELUG readers will (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Yep. Just as an aside, there is a process I often take architecture clients through (It's called QFD for the home audience to go look up if they want). It's quite formal and you get rather methodical and mechanical answers out at the end of (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) No it doesn't. You acknowledged that they could find a way to stop you. What it does is show that you are not seeking a consensus. That what you want is to belittle, demean, and bend people to your will. I suspect quite sincerely, that you are (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) There is the ability to seek self-custody prior to 18 through the courts. What about in the extremely unlikely event that someone who has done so wants to join? (I realize that the rule is still 18, but what if the reason behind the rule flys (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I've read about half of the posts and I can see this is turning/has turned ugly. I'm not gonna get into, 1) Opinion, 2) Justice/fairness, 3) Legalities. I'll just say how I feel about it. I never had a dark age, much like Shiri. I know what it (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) The above comment was out of line, and I appologize for it. I admit that it does reflect my feelings to some extent, but it's a poor way to debate (and it is critical for debate to be usefull to be carefull in sharing feelings like this. I do (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact