 Organizations / United States / NELUG / 524 (-20)
  Re: Age limitations

(...) I'm quite certain that I never said it was fun for her. I'm also pretty certain that you're not actually reading my messages other than to find lines you can pull out of them and disagree with. I'm sorry that Shiri feels excluded. I really (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I didn't say "*what* is cool". I said "*who* is cool". That's a completely separate issue. The actual words used may be "mature enough", but it won't feel that way to the recipient of a rejection. It's painful enough for Shiri to be rejected (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) You said it yourself; this is supposed to be fun. How much fun do you think Shiri is having sitting at home wishing she could be in NELUG, but can't, because of an age restriction. If you can find a way that could *possibly* be fun, I'd like (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) What is "cool" and "not cool" has nothing to do with it. And, as I said before, just being a third party, I feel that this is VERY arrogant on NELUG's part as a whole...I think we'd all be satisfied if this were taken case by case; have a (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) That requires us to become judges of character. It's not something I want to get into -- this is supposed to be fun. I can't see how rejecting someone with the words "you're not mature enough" are going to be fun for anyone. Saying "sorry, you (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) What exactly would we tell the person that got denied? "We don't think you're as cool as some other people, so you can't be in our club"? That's not likely to have a positive outcome of any sort. I certainly don't want to be the person saying (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) My sentiments exactly Craig! I've been telling her this forever, maybe now that you did too she'll listen...she's one of the cornerstones of .castle, as far as I'm concerned. And no one would know what a BURPMAN or SPUD is without her...;-) (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) That's easier said then done!!! As I stated in an earlier post, people her age (say between 14-17) are not generally "out of the closet" so to speak about their hobby. Try asking just about anyone in that age group what they think og LEGO, and (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

As the saying almost goes: "If you can't join them, beat them?" If you organised your own LEGO meeting in the New England area that did allow under 18s then I'm sure the Cult-Of-Shiri would make sure it was a success. :) I'm not suggesting a (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I agree 100%. (...) Excellent point. I can see the same thing in people I know. I see the liability issue and the maturity issue as the two main factors here. Liability is legally directly linked to age according to our laws, maturity does not (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Liability ? You worried about some homeboys carjacking the Town cars ? What responsible parent would want you guys "babysitting" anyone ? (...) 'Technically' means 'we aren't the one's discriminating', 'it's in the rules'. If it's an (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) there's _always_ an exception to prove the rule. rules are'nt bad things, but in _this case_ they are hurtful. shiri dori is an exceptional young woman. her thoughts and desires expressed so well here are proof. credit is due to shiri for the (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I am glad to see you took that advice, Shiri. I have been in opposition of this from the start, unfortunately, as an outsider, I've felt my statements were little more than smoke in the wind to NELUG... (...) As you should. After conversing (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

Shiri (and NELUG), I understand the potential problems of the age issue. I was the captain of a tournament paintball team where we had players that were under the age of 18. There is a much greater likelihood of injury in paintball than LEGO and (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) you (...) this (...) age. (...) Although I haven't met Shiri yet, or even talked to her, from what I have seen from her postings, she very mature for her age. I haven't been to a meeting yet,(I will most definatly be attending the next one), (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) That's just the thing, Matt. By the time she's "old enough", she'll be in Israel, it will make no difference to her. In my own opinion, as an outsider, I can't understand why exceptions absolutely *will not* be made. I joined GMLUG when I was (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: july 4 thing

(...) I'm sure they are, but I probably won't be coming. I was hoping to spend all day there but I was coming for the people, not the fireworks. And anyhow, I'm not feeling extremely patriotic... the 4th is an American holiday per se and I am not, (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.people)

  Re: july 4 thing

(...) The fireworks are definitely fun, at the very least. :) (24 years ago, 3-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

In defense of the limit: there is another factor beyond what you listed. The liability issue provides a reason to make the line at exactly 18 (although we actually talked about making it 21). The "babysitting" concern wouldn't apply in your case, (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: july 4 thing

(...) Well, it doesn't seem like people are planning on being there earlier. Too bad, there goes your chance at seeing I don't bite. Oh well, guess it'll be another one of the "this is supposed to be fun?!" holidays for me. -Shiri (24 years ago, 3-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact