Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 22:42:15 GMT

I'm not involved in NELUG, but I want to contribute a comment:

When I was 14, I belonged to a computer user group. I think the
parallels will be clear. Once a month I cajoled an older person
to drive me over to Texas Tech for a few crammed hours of
computer stuff (such as lectures on programming, but also much
copying of exciting new software, and showing stuff off.) When I
was 15 they asked me to give a talk on assembly programming. I
don't know if anybody at the club pondered the liability issues,
but over there, membership included you and your family (so, my
dad joined.) Then again, liability wasn't what it is now.
Meetings were held at places open to the public: Texas Tech
library computer lab, other public libraries, and a community
room at a mall.

I was not the only youngster there, but sometimes I was the only
one. Those years made some large difference to where I went
and what I did in later years (everybody's got stories to tell.)

Just a parallel case to think about. Again, I'm not in your club, so I won't
presume to debate (if a debate even exists.)