Re: Train Table Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:11:45 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kessel wrote:
Is there a design document for the NELUG train tables?  I didn't find one after
a quick look at the NELUG site.  Thanks for any info.
     -Eric

While we don't have spec's let me give you a brief description.  This with a
little handy work should help you out.  These are really simple to make unless
you have some sort of aversion to a saw, drill, or tape measure.

First the tops are 40.25" x 40.25" or as Jorge already mentioned 4x4 32x32
baseplates.

The tops are made out of 1/4" plywood which is screwed to 1"x2" pine bracing
(the sides).  I would recomment 1" screws at no less than 10" apart.

For the legs we use 2" PVC pipe cut to 29" per leg (standard table height).  The
leg lenght is really more of a preferance than it is a hard and fast rule.  One
nice thing about the 29" length is that you get 4 legs out of a 10' length of
PVC.  (Remember you loose material when you cut so you can't actually get four
30" legs out of a 10' length of PVC.  The legs have to be something less than
30" to get 4 out of a 10' length.

For connecting the legs we use PVC connecters that are screwed to the corners of
the tables.  The legs then friction fit into the connecters for quick set up and
break down.

NOTE:  these tables are good for setting up displays but they are NOT very
strong so DO NOT sit on them or put a lot of weight on them.  One benfit to our
design is the are light and easily transported.  These tables will warp if not
properly stored (don't just lean them on a wall).  It helps to get the
straightest 1x2's for the bracing as you can possibly find.

Don't hesitate to ask some more questions.

Eric

I have added lugnet.trains.org for added coverage/discussion.