Subject:
Upcomming changes to the NELUG mailing list and Website...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 13:03:02 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

This is just a heads up for a couple of changes that I am planning for the
NELUG mailing list and website over the next week or so.

1.  I plan on replacing our current mailing list with a new and improved
mailing list that is both easier on me to maintain as well as for you to
configure your options on.  I have already sent out an e-mail to a couple of
members to let them know so they can help me test the new setup.  Currently I
am configuring the security and list options.

The main improvement of this list over the previous list is that everything is
web based and I won't have to be constantly adding and removing members
manually.  You will be able to sign up and remove yourself from the list via
the web thus removing much of the work I was doing to maintain the current
mailing list.

This is especially important to me because as you know our mailing list is very
rarely used on a regular basis and we seem to have successfully transitioned
most of our traffic over to LUGNET.  I do feel there is a need for a mailing
list however so I did not want to just abandon it.

List members will also be able to view archived messages via the web using
their user ID and password.  Also to make this transition as easy as possible I
will be adding all the current members of our mailing list to the new mailing
list in one batch.  This will automatically send you an e-mail notifiying you
that you have been added to the list as well as giving you links to all
relevant pages and a default password that you will be able to change as you
wish.  You will also be able to remove yourself from the list as you wish.

All in all I think this is a 100% improvement over the current setup and best
of all it is free...  Well not exactly free.  Pair Networks (They host the
NELUG website) has just started offering this new service to their customers
and as long as we don't exceed 20,000 messages in a month there is no
additional charge to our regular monthly hosting charges.  I will be very
worried if we ever go over 200 messages in a month so I don't forsee any
additional charges.

Currently I have this set up to allow anyone to join the mailing list but I
have added a disclaimer to the page stating our one rule for membership.  If
this becomes an issue I can set it up so that I (or another admin) has to
approve all membership requests in the list.

Finally, I can also set up additional admin's if need be so if I don't have the
time to administrait the list I can get someone else to help me out.

2.  The changes to the website will be minor.  First I will be removing the
membership counts from the top of the page.  This is a pain to update and it is
also not indicitive of our true membership.  All this tells you are counts for
people on the mailing list and that will be obtainable from the mailing list
web site.  While currently there are about 93 people on the mailing list there
are only about 20 people I would consider Active members who have attended more
than 1 meeting.  Thats not to say others wouldn't go to a meeting if they were
more convinent for them but for now I think the number is misleading.

3.  The second change will be to remove the "Membership" form from the site as
this was primarily used for setting up the mailing list its usefulness will be
diminished.  While the rest of the information collected is interesting I don't
think it is particularly important.

Again this all will probably go into effect sometime in the next week or so and
I will post a followup when it does and you will recieve an E-mail as well if
you are on the current mailing list.

If you have any questions or concerns please let me know soon so I can consider
them before I put the changes public.

Thanks,

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group