Subject:
NELUG well represented at BrickFest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 01:51:16 GMT

Shaun, Dave and I ventured off to BrickFest 2002 and survived even though we
drove down (only 9+ hours each way). Dave and Courtney (his other half) took
one car and Shaun and I traveled down together in my blazer. Contrary to
what many of you think, Shaun actually made a great companion.

As many of you know, Dave brought his Hoth base. In fact, for those of you
who attended the 'dry run,' Dave actually built two more 'Hoth plates' that
extended the front even further out. You will undoubtedly see many, many
pictures of it within the coming days as everyone starts posting their
BrickFest pics. Shaun contributed MOCs on the outside of the base, like the
Rebel turrets, probe droid and, of course, his AT-AT and AT-ST. Dave, in
addition to the base itself, built everything inside as well as a wealth of
detail outside including his AT-AT, 100,000,000 snow/stormtroopers (okay,
slight exageration, but just slightly) and at the last minute the
all-important power generator.

People were litterally mesmerized by the setup, which was huge. In fact, for
the BrickFest voting, the display was not in the Space/Star Wars category,
but in the Large Scuplture division. It was truly amazing. What was also
amazing was that it did not win a prize. As remarkable as that may sound,
Lindsay Braum built a WWII Japanesse Destroyer that had to be seen to be
believed...and even then you wouldn't believe it! The size, technique,
attention to detail, cut away hull, acuracy and coolness factor, not only
won this MOC the Large Sculpture category, but also Best of Show. It was
torturous trying to decide between these two master pieces. Each of these
displays was in a class all by themselves.

If you feel bad that the Hoth base didn't win anything, fear not. Shaun won
enough categories for every man, woman and non-child in NELUG.

In the 'General' BrickFest Awards, where everyone who attends BrickFest gets
an opportunity to vote for their favorite MOCs, there were 13 awards
(categories). The first award given was for Best Train and Shaun's new 10
wide Hudson 4-6-4 won. Giggling like a little school girl, Shaun was
delighted that people took notice of it, even though it was sort of in the
back corner of the room.

The next award was for Best Town and that went to my Octo ride. It was a
great surprise.

Shaun also won the Best Small Sculpture (Sculpture included all military
entries) with his BMW motorcycle with sidecar. During our 9 hour ride home
we must have laughed over this one for a full hour. I thought for sure
Shaun's Panzer VI was going to win. It's super detailed and has 100s of
pieces. The BMW, on the other hand, only has about 19 pieces! Who knew?

Also, although Jim Green has moved away about a year ago, his Tron MOC won
Best Small Space MOC. It was the coolest thing. In addition to two light
cycles, he even created his own decals for the Tron figs.

As if all this wasn't enough, the Train/Town rooms had their own awards
which used the NMRA rating criteria and a panel of judges that evaluated
over 80 MOCs. They issued 12 or 13 awards (I can't remember). Of them,
Shaun's brilliant creations took 4 wards:
*Best Steam Engine - BR18 German Steam Engine
*Best Train - WWII German Train
*Best Non Revenue - "PiggyBack" Car
*Best Train MOC - highest overall score in the NMRA-style train/town
ratings - BR18 German Steam Engine

It's safe to say that we all had a great time! I still have to upload my
pics, but somehow, I don't think you'll have a problem finding images of all
the amazing creations that were at BrickFest 2002.

- Joe