Re: Akro-Mils Storage Unit Order?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 18:00:18 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:

Hi All,

Following up on a thread in .storage, I spent a little while hunting
down a local distributor for Akro-Mils storage centers.  Bode Equipment,
in Londonderry, NH, provided me with the following pricing guidelines:

(Just so people know what we're talking about, I uploaded a .pdf copy of
part of the Akro-Mils catalog onto my brickshelf gallery:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/Misc/hardware1.pdf )

11 Drawer    1-29     17.94
            30+      15.40

15 Drawer    1-29      7.85
            30+       7.35

23 Drawer    1-29     17.94
            30+      15.40

30 Drawer    1-29      8.94
            30+       8.35

36 Drawer    1-29     17.94
            30+      15.40

50 Drawer    1-29     13.86
            30+      12.95

60 Drawer    1-29     19.12
            30+      17.84

Lead time is about a week (5-7 Days)

Pleasant to note is the fact that the 11, 23, and 36 drawer units are
all exactly the same size - they can mixed and matched and stacked and
restacked interchangeably.  All of the other sizes are slightly
different.  The 11 and 36 drawer models include drawer dividers, while
the 15 and 23 drawer models also have dividable drawers (but look not to
include the dividers with the unit).

IMHO the 11, 23, and 36 are definitely the way to go.  I have a few of each
although I prefer the 23 over the others.  The 3 big drawers on the 11 are good
for some things but not a lot, and the 36 drawer unit with all small drawers is
not real flexible if you have a large collection (I would say over 80,000
pieces).

How do these prices look?

The prices look good but not great.  I think I have gotten them cheaper on sale
but overall they are OK.  I will see if I can figure out how much I paid for
mine if I remember.

As I mentioned, Bode is a direct distributor,
so I have a tough time believing we could get consistently lower prices
somewhere else - plus, we don't have to worry about items being in stock
or some goofy delivery schedule [1].  Chris had mentioned getting the
23- and 36- drawer units for $11.00 at Wal-Mart, but I haven't been able
to find them listed anywhere for less than $22.00.  I also cannot find
mention of the mythical 18-drawer units, even in the Akro-Mils
catalogue, leading me to believe that that design is no longer with us.

Yah I think the 18 drawer unit is at worst discontinued and at best
out-of-production.  I also think I have gotten them for around $11 at Wal-Mart
but that might have been a sale.

Based on this information, would anybody else be interested in going in
with me to obtain a bunch of units?  I'm willing to order them, receive
them (provided the order doesn't get too large - in which case, we may
need to opt to someone with a house of their own ...), and transport
them to the next meeting (or at least, as many as I can fit in my car
per trip), but I'd like to get a sense for whether this is worth it to
anyone else.

Is there a bulk order discount?  I can always use more but I don't have a
pressing need at the moment.  If there were a significant deal I might consider
it though.

BTW, would we want any for NELUG proper?  Do we have enough of a
collection (and of the right variety or pieces) to sort?

I don't think so just yet.  These don't really travel well and the NELUG
collection is dispersed at the moment.  Speaking of which we need to decide
what to do with the collection.  There is no sense having it sit in boxes.
Maybe we can have a build-a-thon at some point, or a trading party.  Any ideas
on what to do with the collection?

As an aside, could somebody give me an idea of how many units/drawers
one might need to competely sort out their collection?  Sorting by piece
as much as possible, not sorting at all by color.  My collection is
probably on the order of ... oh, say upper limit 85 gallons, though a
good chunk of that is kept in MOCs at this point.  I'm looking for
really ballpark figure here, so if you start asking for details abut my
collection I will point at you and laugh.  I mean, do people find
themselves needing 10 units (assuming a distribution of 11, 23, and 36
drawer units)? 20 units?  50? 100?  Eric K., I know you have all of your
sorted ....

Yah you don't know me that well.  I have a sorting disaster on my hands at the
moment.  I would be lucky if I could say 50% of my stuff were sorted.  I have a
ton of sets that havn't seen the light of day yet plus 3 or 4 tubs of
failed/abandoned projects that need to be sorted.  Thats one of the reasons I
have purchased very little LEGO lately, the other reason is time.  At the
moment I have none.

As for an estimate I don't know how to interpret 85 gallons.  For me I
currently have around 100,000 parts.  I have about 15 Acro-Mills units Plus
about 15 other storage carry cases.  I also use tubs and things for stuff like
basic bricks and other large quantity items.  Things like BURP's and Mega
Bricks get put in drawers of an old dresser.  Other parts I find useless like
Trap-doors, Trikes, certain POOPs, and other SPUDs I throw into a "Junk Bin"
which will eventually either go to my Son, NELUG, or other charitable
organization.

That is with my space restricitons however.  Given unlimited space I would like
to have about 40-50 Acro-Mills units to do things right and leave some space
for expansion.  Most stuff I sort by type and not color but there are a few
parts that I do divide into a couple of drawers split by a few colors depending
on how many of a certain item I have.  For example I have one Acro-Mills unit
dedicated soley to Blue Plates thanks to all the 4288 buckets I got.  All other
plates are in other units.

Hope that helps, again if you can get a bulk discount I might be interested
otherwise I might wait on this one.

Eric Kingsley