Re: Concerning February 14th Meeting date
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lugola
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:26:29 GMT

Hi Ryan,

Yes, the date of the first LUGOLA meeting of the year typically coincides with
any Southern California based brick gathering for the masses that is typically
planned for the same weekend (Presidents' day weekend). As this has been our
tradition for the past two years, we saw no need to move the meeting date to
accomodate a scheduled event located more than a thousand miles north that most
Southern California-based folks have no intention of attending. We understand
that this will undoubtedly cause scheduling conflicts for those who choose to
attend Bricksfest PDX, but there isn't much we can do about that as the plans
for this gathering pre-date any Oregon-based plans. We apologize about this
inconvenience, but it could not be helped.

The February Presidents' day weekends have been considered an important meeting
time for us since the inception of the group. It is the only time of the year
open to us to put on a regional showing of support for the building community as
showcased in 2002 and 2003 in the form of BricksWest. Such a communal gathering
was not attainable for 2004 due to a severe lack of communication from Mr.
Gerber, so plans were underway to form a gathering in his absence and without
his support. Unfortunately for us, the Brickfest PDX organizers opted to utilize
the same weekend for their own gathering, so we placed our own 2004 plans on
hold. It made no sense to have a competing gathering on the same weekend
potentially damaging both gatherings in the process. Upon further review, it was
deemed impossible to proceed with a true February weekend gathering, so scaling
the activities down to a more managable day long get together was the only
acceptible option. Changing the date or locale of the gathering was never an
option.

That said, I should point out that LUGOLA has many interesting things planned
for 2004-meeting more often is only a part of that. We are looking into more
community-based activities outside out regular meeting schedule and increased
involvement in activities that aren't strictly brick-based. More details will be
made available as we get closer to the activities in question.

Thank you for the inquiry and we hope you are able to attend the February
gathering.
-Dave