Re: Nov 02 Meeting a Great Success!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 03:31:45 GMT

Looks like it was a great meeting--I'm sorry I missed it!  I hoped to make
it, but my coming would have required my wife to cut short her work for the
day due to some commitments we had later in the day (yeah, I know, slightly
complicated!), and since she needs to work to graduate...anyways, the layout
looked like a ton of fun.  You guys appear to have done a great job throwing
together a nice town without too much planning--you should be able to do a
nice job at a train show!  Speaking of which, it looks like I'll miss the
show in January--we have a trip to the Bahamas planned for that
time--another major bummer since I've long been hoping for a Lego showing at
a train show in the area.

Play well,

Alan "Excuses" Demlow ;-)

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Kevin Salm writes:
On Nov 02 LUCNY met for the first time in many months.  Planned were
a Train/Town layout and John Barnes' demonstration of his automated
sensor-controlled Train layout.  Both were successful and a lot of fun was had
by all who attended.

Those present were:
Kevin Salm  (host)
Dave Amos
John Barnes
Ed McGlynn
John Rudy
Wayne Sardullo

John Barnes set up his automated layout that has track powered as four isolated
zones to control the speed of the trains to prevent collisions.  Since this had
not been set-up or tested since BrickFest 2002 in July, John was not certain it
would operate correctly.  Fortunately, it worked well and we all enjoyed it.

Set-up of the Train/Town Layout took about 3 hours.  Then we had time to view
everyone's models, experiement with Ed's and Wayne's remote-controlled
switching, run various trains, and just have a good time.  The highlight of the
layout was seeing how everyone's contributions can be swiftly integrated into a
seemingly well-planned town that represented the building styles of our
members.

Our last bit of fun was attempting to run the longest train possible to travel
the entire rail circuit.  With several locomotives at various points along the
train, we were successful in running over 30 pieces of rolling stock of various
types, weights, and lengths.  Our final train was at least 50 pieces of
equipment, but this was unsuccessful at completing the loop and resulted in a
minor derailment and serious destruction of some apparatus.

During a short break for food, Wayne was honored for being our group leader and
presented with a Lego sweatshirt as a going-away present.  Due to
circumstances, Wayne is relocating out of central New York State and will not
be able to participate as freely to future LUCNY events.  This leaves LUCNY
without a clear leader, but Wayne has offered to assist us when possible.

Plenty of digital photos were taken by John Rudy and Ed McGlynn but as of just
now they are not available for viewing.  John's Brickshelf folder is here:

As this meeting was a success, we now are confident that we can produce an
enjoyable, working Train/Town layout for public shows.  We have tenatively
planned to participate in an upcoming Train show in the Binghmaton area in
mid-January.  Ed McGlynn will make the arrangements for us and keep us abreast
of details.  No other meetings have yet been planned for LUCNY.

__Kevin Salm__
host of the Nov 02 LUCNY meeting