 Organizations / United States / LRGOAA / 41
Re: LRGOAA & MichLUG Joint Meeting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lrgoaa, lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 01:35:17 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lrgoaa, Jona Jeffords wrote:
   It is odd we haven’t met, although I would have to say that this is due to many factors. Not the least of which would be very busy and conflicting schedules.

The fact that there are at least 1/3rd of our members who don’t live in the greater Detroit area probably doesn’t help a lot with that.

   I have to say, this isn’t the first time a MichLugger has uttered their surprise to find out that there are 2 LEGO groups in Michigan and they haven’t done anything together. I remember over a year ago on our forum one of the MichLug members made contact and quickly became quite. I got the feeling that MichLug didn’t really like the fact that we existed.

Not at all. We have no reason to resent another Michigan based LEGO club, but there’s not really any theme crossover between our two clubs, so it makes more sense for us to concentrate on cooperative events with other neighboring LUGs and LTCs.

   However I have to say that we are strictly focused on LEGO robotics and from what I have seen and heard about MichLug you are focused on LEGO trains.

Eh, sort of. MichLTC, which is part of MichLUG (even though MichLTC is older), focuses specifically on Train, Town, and other related modern minifig-scale themes (I know at least one member builds a lot of military stuff). MichLUG has a more general focus on, well, everything else. Mostly Space, Castle, and Pirate, but I’ve been introducing some BIONICLE stuff into the mix.

   Also, it seems that MichLug tends to do “shows” with their train layouts and such and my guess is that your meetings support the upcoming show.

Shows are certainly a big focus, as are charity events (like Festival of Trees last year). Meetings are primarily geared towards getting upcoming shows organized and discussing shows that happened recently, but we also bring MOCs to show to each other, sets to draft, and (occassionally) LEGO-based games (like BrickQuest and Evil Stevie’s Pirate Game).

Have you guys ever considered doing a show before? I doubt the public has any real idea of what’s possible with LEGO-based robotics, and I’m sure they’d be impressed.