Re: GBC Train crossing, IndyLUG & Chibots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:13:05 GMT

On Thu, September 15, 2005 2:58 pm, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

maybe we could run them on separate loops that
cross over each other.  Then, at each intersection,
we could have the same type of "Transfer Segment"
sensors we currently have.

   Even better, make the transfer sensors and waiting points as far away as
possible while still preserving train-non-crashingness. That way we could run it
so the two trains are often (always?) headed for the crossing at the same time,
but never *quite* collide. Hopefully (evil grin...)

Hmm.  A very interesting idea just came up.

Given that we want to integrate a GBC into a train layout, I just had a cool idea
that we could run a non-GBC train THROUGH the GBC.

All I need is a sensor to detect where the other train is (or know when it's in a
"danger zone") then I can stop the GBC train (or speed it up!?) to clear a train
crossing.

So, the area I'm working with is 10x6 baseplates.  It could be 10x8, if needed.

The outside baseplate will have a non-GBC train loop (which also goes elsewhere on
the layout), and I'm thinking about putting the GBC train on the same baseplate, and
run it as a circle outside the GBC (turn the GBC inside-out).

Is that clear?  So, we have an inside area of about 4x8 baseplates.

Also, at the November 13th event in Chicago (Chibots) there will be a "Robot Art"
competition.  Yes, it's another good place to set-up a GBC.

Steve