Re: Rock Crawling...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:45:21 GMT

At 04:22 PM 12/12/06, John Brost wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

One of the most difficult part of this is going to be finding the
space to make
a course.  With the size of vehicles I'm envisioning, I think we're going to
need a good size area, not just a 4 x 8 spot.

Yes, it's going to be more a "room size" event, and not "table size".

I think that most real rock crawling events have cones marking the course, and
hitting a cone results in a time penalty.  Lowest total time wins, but I've
never paid much attention to anything other than watching the flips
and crashes

Ok, here's a link to the rock crawling rule book.

http://www.we-rock.cc/rulebook.php

Basically, you get points when you mess-up.  Low score wins.  There
are cones (gates) around the course.
Touch a cone, get 1 point.
If you can't do an obstacle, (or go out of bounds)  you get 40 points.
Backup, get 1 point.
Use rear-steer, get 5 points
Use a winch, get 30 points
Get past a gate -1 point
Each obstacle has a max of 40 points

So, can we build winches into our cars?  :)  I think so!

And, I think we should ignore the rear-steer penalty.  We should
encourage cool stuff like that.

There is a time limit for finishing, but speed is not counted at
all.  I think that means if people can get a "perfect" score on the
course, the course is not hard enough...

You can time-out or point-out.  I'm not totally sure how the
"point-out" works, but it involves the max 40 points for an obstacle.

Not that I think it would be a big problem, but we might want to
specify allowed
parts.  I'm thinking LEGO parts, standard construction, EXCEPT for the remote
implementation.  This means that BT NXT remotes, HiTechnic remotes,
Mindsensor's
PSP-NX, etc. would all be allowed.  But I wouldn't want to see R/C trucks with
LEGO bodies or something like that competing.  Perhaps a slippery slope (pun
intended), but something that might need to be nailed down.

At this point, I'd say the vehicle must be 100% LEGO, but the remote
can be just about anything.  It could be a bluetooth device, or a
"remote control sensor".  (That would be a wireless remote that plugs
into a sensor port.)  So, you could use another NXT, a PDA, a cell
phone, in fact, I think you should even be able to use a PC, if you
have a bluetooth dongle.

This should be cool.  I searched, and there are some RC Rock Crawling
groups around.  We could form our own club, and call it the Lafayette
LEGO Rock Crawlers (LafLRC) or, better yet, Lafayette Local LEGO
Remote Control Rock Crawling Robotics Club (LLLRCRCRC)

Steve